forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Baby

6 month old baby girl crying in her sleep

18 messages
21/12/2008 at 21:46

hi there,

I hope that someone can help or advise please, my little girl is just 6 months old and has too over the past few weeks startred to cry in her sleep, she has a dummy for sleep which once fast asleep she spits out, and when she startrs to cry i go into her room and put in her dummy. she is fast asleep when she is crying so i know that she isnt awake and crying for  anything else or her dummy, although her cry doesnt sound distressed, it has been getting more frequent and last night i went in 14 times between 1am and 7am? i hope someone has some experience of this and can advise us......many thanks in advance....

a very tired chrissy & baby Kathryn  x

21/12/2008 at 22:03

we had the same and you will find she will grow out of it.

We tend to have it now when my dd is growing or teething. she is 9mth old.

i read it was baby nightmares/ dreaming as they are just starting to dream at this age. Unfortunatly there is nothing you can do to stop it. Have you tried leaving her a bit to see if she settles herself. We put 3 dummies in the cot with dd so she finds one herself.

22/12/2008 at 10:11

hiya Caz

thanks for the reply, i guessed that this was the case, as i have tried everything else, she is not too cold or warm and doesnt want food, i have noticed that today her gums are really white and was told that this is a sign that a tooth may break thru soon, so hope that this is what is causing it and it may settle once one pops thru, i have tried leaving her, but because she is asleep whilst crying she wakes herself up and is then difficult to settle.  we have been lucky as she has slept thru pretty much from 10 weeks old so i am really not used to it, but am more worried that it could mean that she is not happy or having nightmares.....

chrissy & Kathryn x

05/01/2009 at 08:05

hi....

could also be teething the reason for the crying??

love julianne xx

05/01/2009 at 11:35

hiya julianne,

kathryns first tooth popped up on xmas eve, so we think that may be the cause, although we think it may be noise as we live on a busy road used as a cut through by lorries throughout the night so dont know really, just hope it passes soon as we are all like zombies here! lol

chrissy & Kathryn

06/01/2009 at 11:57

aww bless!! ive a little boy who will be 10 months on jan 10th.we are having teething issues ourselves at the mo. his 6th tooth is prooving to be a bit of a pig! he still sleeping 12 hr nights just dribbling and a bit clingy during day.i have found that it was worse with 1st teeth.now, i think hes used to it a bit and we find we dont need calpol as much. btw...have you tried calpol night? its great coz it has a sleep aid in it to relax babies as well as paracetamol. also can use with ibrupofen too.thats good coz has an anti inflamitory in it too.

love julianne xx

06/01/2009 at 12:09

thanks julianne, can see another line on her gum next to first tooth so think the second is on its way, will have to try the night stuff, have had 2 nights of no sleep now, feel awful for kathryn it must hurt so much, try not to give to much calpol as she wud be on it all day everyday at the moment and i am asthmatic so dont want to risk it for her, will try ibrufen to be honest didnt get that cause again the asthma thing as i can hae it myself....thanks for your help....

chrissy & kathryn x

06/01/2009 at 16:05

chrissy...

check with your pharmacist about what you can use. to be honest i havent used the calpol night and ibrupofen together coz it seems a bit much.a dose of calpol b4 bed wont hurt her. so dont worry.also anbesol is good. its a liquid local anaesthetic which you can put on gums which numbs the gums.so they cant feel the pain. its good stuff.i also put some onto charlies dummy at bed time.be careful when you ask for calpol night coz last time i was given it for toddlers and only noticed at last min it wasnt the baby one.nearly wet myself.lol. pharmacist couldnt stop apologising!!!

love julianne xx

29/03/2012 at 20:44

my little girl is 6 months and has started to cry in her sleep to. she has two teeth that have come though the gum but i think she has another 1 coming. ive tried everything. i put her dummie back in and she goes back to sleep staright away. does anyone know when it will stop? im a first time mum so any advise will help

05/04/2012 at 14:54

my DD is 11 months and has just started doing the same, i think its teething, we've been told all sorts of advice from control crying, to ignoring, to giving porridge before bed etc nothing is working, she woke up 1.45am last night and again at 5am and then her normal wake up time. I put her dummy in and she goes back to sleep.

So I'd like to hear the advice too please

27/07/2012 at 08:22
Our 7 month old does this also. She cries / screams for a few seconds and then that's it... Sometime have to go in and put the dummy back in. No signs of teeth. Does not do it every night. Still pretty weird. She is not sleeping through yet.. Goes to bed abt 8pm... Usually cries / wakes up 2 time before midnight but goes back to sleep fairly quickly.. Then wankes abt 3 for food then sleep till 7/8am.
06/08/2012 at 06:33

so actually what happens when the baby cries at night? I see the signs of teething yet to be seen. is  he hungry? or what?

sorry if my english not good.

regards,

about the health of children

29/05/2013 at 15:28
My 6 months old began crying at night too. Waking so many times at night. It's been going on for about 2 weeks. It's not for food or soiled diaper. He is better when he is in his swing or when I rock him him on my shoulder but only for a little while. He seems restless. Moving alot from tummy to back. Something is bothering him because he will cry and he becomes so exhausted he looks like he's sleeping while he does it. Also he jerks too. He does not have any teeth yet. It seems like he's been teething off and on for months now. I breast feed so I thought maybe its my milk. But he sleeps fine during the day. I don't know what to do. I'm exhausted and I don't think he is getting good sleep, which both are not good. :-/
27/07/2013 at 11:49

Well its quite natural thing I guess...My 9 months old daughter also use  to cry a lot during nigth then I bought a baby bouncer for her that helped me a lot I use to put her into the buncer keep the bouncer besides our bed.

<div class="post-controls"> 
06/01/2014 at 17:11
My little boy is doing the same thing for the past 9 weeks. Can somebody please reply when it has stopped for them. I am exhausted. He is a happy baby otherwise. Self settling, eating well....
27/06/2014 at 13:44

She is only six month old and how crual you are. Just let her sleep besides you and then I think everything gonna be just fine

19/08/2014 at 13:55

Hope you find something that helps...my LO is now 11 months old and ive never had a proper nights sleep since i brought her home. At first she used to wake contantly and i would be up and down 14 times a night sometimes more and for the last 2 months she cries constantly in her sleep and im exhausted. Ive taken her to the drs they think it may be night terrors and to try waking her 10 mins before she usually starts to cry also the controlled crying thing - although i have tried all of this before including changing her diet, no naps in the day, travel cot in my room etc i am going to go back to basics and try again. If anyone has any tips or something new to try i would be very grateful.

26/08/2014 at 11:42

Even i had the same problem with my DS i have taken him to dr he said it is may be night terrors.

First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
18 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...