forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Baby

Anyone found their IBS has become worse after birth?

7 messages
Cex
14/06/2010 at 17:07

Hi, my little girl is 5 1/2 months old now.  I've suffered from IBS for years on and off but can usually control it with diet.  Mine is a mixture of constipation and loose movements although mainly constipation.

I had symptoms in early pregnancy but didn't really suffer in late pregnancy or after giving birth until now....

I actually ended up going to hospital today as the pains were so bad I couldn't move and could hardly walk over the last 2 days and my Mum and partner thought it was my appendix.

Has anyone else found that their IBS has returned with a vengance?  nb, i'm breastfeeding.

15/06/2010 at 12:38

Hi Claire,

After my little girl was born i suffered various internal aches and pains, as well as anxiety and my dc said i have always suffered with like you say either loose movements or constipation so always suspected it, but with all the additional stuff i was surprised it was all linked to IBS so i have found that since Abi was born that my IBS is def more irritable and it's started manifesting itself in other ways too, i.e the anxiety.

Also, occasionally i get such severe stitch-like pains that i quite literally can't move. I went to docs about these too as was soo worried, but again i was just told IBS.

I do sometimes feel that everytime i go to them i'm fobbed off with IBS, but i've seen a few diff docs and they all say the same.

Always best to see doc if you're worried, for ease of mind if nothing else.

Also, try peppermint oil capsules, i found they eased symptoms a little. I was also told to keep a food diary to see if i can find anything that may be triggering it. Nothing overly conclusive yet, but i have found i feel worse if i've had too much dairy or bread. I have also heard caffiene is a trigger, but i don't have a lot of that.

Hope this helps!

xxx

15/06/2010 at 16:08

Hi claire, i too suffer from IBS and mine seems the same as yours, you get a mixture of constipation and extremely loose!! I can put mine into little "sets" now, i get about 3 days of not going then i get another 3/4 of what can only be described as "rabbit droppings" (sorry TMI!! LOL) then the loose arrives and i get about 3 days of that sometimes more!

Like you i could usually control it to keep the discomfot to a minimum, but after each of my children it has progresively got worse - im sorry to say! I tried the food diary but it didnt pin-point anything in particular, infact it only helped me decide what foods to eat to "get things moving" - which i guess does help on those lines, and this is spicey stuff. Im fortunate in that the pains have never been so bad that i have had to go to hospital, but they do get bad somedays. Directly after childbirth i find i cant go at all for about 5 days but then it settles back into its "routine" again.

Hope this helps and sorry its not better news, but short answer to your question is "YES" it does get worse after children!!! Take it easy and try not to worry too much, by the way, i have breastfed all of my kids (all 7 so far!!!) and it makes no difference in that way. xxxx

18/06/2010 at 08:48
Hi Claire

Mine hasn't got worse but if this explains how bad I get it I thought it was IBS cramps for the first 3 hours of labour! When I get cramps they are so debilitating I can't move, I have to curl up in a ball and they literally bring tears to my eyes.

Don't know if you've tried motilium but it is a life saver! Stops the cramps and any 'loose' issues.

Mine is effected by oily food, dairy and caffiene.

Hope you find some relief

x
13/01/2012 at 14:18
Hi, I suffered from really bad ibs in the third trimester, I was rushing toilet all the time. When I gave birth to my daughter symptoms wore off. Now My daughter is 16 months and only now the pains have come back but more often and worst. Feels like bar abdomen pains and wind. all my doctor says is try avoid stress and eat good, no medication has been prescribed. But with a young child avoiding stress is pretty much impossible. good luck with your pain relief.xx
13/01/2012 at 21:44

hi, i got told that ibs can become worse after every pregnancy. more so if you had a caeserian like me because of the bowel trauma from all the digging etc.

colpermin works best for me,avail over the counter, its essentially peppermint oil with something else that controls the awful knotty spasms. as soon as i get the first gripey knots i take one and it really does help.

mine has never really let up and has got worse since i had my second but like one of the other ladies mentioned booze,  caffiene and anxiety can be triggers and lets face it, i bet we all rely on the cuppas more when were sleep deprived. its like the lesser of 2 evils, if i cut out the caffiene the i would be climbing the walls lol.

xxxxxxxxxx

28/08/2012 at 17:29

Sorry to say this but it's great to read these posts - sorry that its at the expense of everyone elses' misery. My boy is 8 months old now and since about 3 months, my digestion has been off - sometimes nausea or mild cramps or bathroom urgency (well you know all the symptoms)...  but in the last couple of weeks I feel like I am going through the wringer... bowel cancer is in my family and here I was thinking its gotta be that - the cramps are sometimes completely debilitating. Silly me picked up a coffee habit post-birth and I am sure that is contributing. Thanks to all here, I feel relieved (pardon the pun) to have some answers. Will explore dietary changes. All the best to you all!

First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
7 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...