forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Baby

Breastfeeding in public: top tips

11 messages
28/02/2007 at 08:09
Those are our starter ideas, I'm sure you've all got plenty more though, so let's have them!
28/02/2007 at 22:48
I breast fed in public, I did not care, my daughter was crying & hungry. Once I had to feed her in Macdonalds, these teenage girls started making comments. I normally quite person who does not stand up to myself. I said to them "do you have a problem with me feeding my baby or would you rather I let her cry" which sharp shut them up. Anyway my daughters are 4 & 2 now so don`t have those problems at the moment ,but we are trying for baby number 3.
05/03/2007 at 15:55
Don't forget that Mothercare stores have dedicated babyfeeding rooms. Not as pleasant as going to a cafe, but I have used them sometimes when I couldn't find anywhere else suitable.

Coffee shops such as Cafe Nero etc are good because they often have armchairs which are more comfortable and private to feed your baby on than a normal dining chair.

I always used to take a spare muslin out with me, and if I was feeling a bit exposed I would use it to make sure we were all covered up.

Similarly to some of the clothing tips given above, I found a cardigan useful as I could keep it buttoned up over my tummy whilst lifting up my t-shirt to feed my baby. Wrap-over tops with a vest underneath work in a similar way.

Its unfortunate that many shopping centres combine the baby feeding and changing room, and then don't empty the nappy bins very regularly, and its not a very pleasant environment to sit and feed your baby in for half an hour or so, with the smell of dirty nappies wafting around!

I think its awful that people expect mums to breastfeed babies in public toilets! They wouldn't sit and eat their dinner in the toilet, would they?
20/10/2008 at 16:56

I walked into town carrying my baby daughter whilst feeding her a couple of days ago. Rather that than let a 2 week old baby scream with hunger!

I do not know if anyone noticed and I do not care!

I think i was being discreet, but you know what i find it more offensive that I see people smoking dope, drinking high strength beer and so on in the street, which will be my answer if anyone does object.

i went to a la Leche League meeting and the people there told me of places which are 'breastfeeding friendly' so i feel better knowing that.

20/10/2008 at 20:00

I never really thought about the place I was feeding my baby in, if he was hungry I just fed him. I remember a friend mentioning feeding her little girl in our local Debenhams 'feeding area' (also the nappy changing facility as someone else mentioned they generally are) I remarked that I hadn't even thought about there being a feeding area when I was there I just got my boob out in the restaurant.

My local town is very good and when I first had my little boy the mw bought around a list of shops where they were bf friendly, which was most of them!

I never got comments from anyone about feeding in public and never noticed anyone staring at me also. I think most people don't mind as long as you are discreet, which I always aimed to be anyway as I didn't want to show my boobs off to everyone

20/10/2008 at 20:17

hi all.

well i found having big bossoms it was difficult to conceal everything. i did try by using blankets and muslin etc but when it was hot it wasn't always possible. i would use a room where available as although i felt it was very natural to feed i did feel a bitself concious so would be more relaxed feeding in privarte. although as someone else mentioned most of the facilities available to breastfeeding mums are just a chair in the toilets where a stinky nappy bin was making the air yuk! so if i had to feed out in public i would.

i found most people very nice and only had the odd occassion when it was an issue. that was usually with young people c(children and teenagers) who felt it was funny - probably because they didn't fully understand the importance of breastfeeding - so i could understand that reaction and ignored it. it is after all ignorance - they dont need to know this until they have children themselves. the site of "titties" is hilarious at that age. or the older generation who still call pregnacy "confinement" and beleive you shouldn't leave the house for 2 months after baby is born and that should only be to get the shopping to make hubby his dinner. and the youth of today only choose to feed in public to be an exhibitionist. and that too im afraid is ignorance. everyone is alowed an opinion and if i offend anyone by doing it i kindly remind them that they are welcome to leave. i am not forcing them to stay!

i do however beleive that there should be more areas available to feeding parents. in the first few weeks it can be very painful and uncomfortable so the last thing you need is a hard chir in the local bogs or in view of prying eyes! but one suggestion is that places such as your local doctors surgery etc usually have a very good view on breastfeeding so if you ever feel really unconfortable i am sure they wont mind you sitting in the waiting room or using the feeding room etc. it is always worth asking. 

08/11/2010 at 10:51
Great article! I'm not a "militant breastfeeder" - I get that some people feel uncomfortable and I understand that they can't help that. However I do expect them to realise that it's their issue not mine! I was pleased to discover on the very, very odd occasion that someone gave me a look (no-one ever actually said anything) that I got angry and proud rather than hide away under pressure :) Grrr.... deny my baby her food, would you? lol :)

You can get nursing tops but the nice ones are expensive. MilkChic.co.uk has links to breastfeeding friendly clothes in normal shops and ideas for how to feed discreetly.

Tbh, I think if you are confident, noone really notices and the only way you get confident is with practice. I managed to feed in front of a load of 16 yr old boys at a rugby tournament (when I REALLY didn't want to show anything) and the only issue I had was all these strangers coming up to chat and look at my beautiful "sleeping" baby...!
16/12/2011 at 03:16
with my first baby i only managed to breastfeed for a few weeks,due to improper teachings i wasnt doing it right it hurt so i stopped.so with my second i was determined to do it right! the only problem i came across was my partner.we were out shopping after a few days and the little one got hungry so i picked her up and was about to feed her when he went crazy! you cant feed her here,people will stare,someone might see your boobs etc etc so i resorted to walking back to the car and feeding her there.it remained that way and at one point while out in a restaurant i found myself in the disabled toilet struggling to feed her because i didnt want to sit on the loo.its wrong! we shouldnt be made to feel this way. we are pregnant with our 3rd now and he knows where he stands.if my baby is hungry,he-she will be getting fed and i pity the person that dares to challenge me!
03/01/2012 at 10:15

Thanks so much for this. This is awesome post I ever seen on internet. This is rare to find that’s why difficult to understand. Anyway,

you are definitely someone that has something to say that people need to hear. Keep up the good work. Keep on inspiring the people.

25/01/2012 at 13:37

My partner says she will breastfeed in public, and I think it's fine. There is this strange culture of people finding it unacceptable at the moment, and yet it is probably one of the most natural things that can happen. I would stand my ground and challenge anyone who would try and stop my partner from breastfeeding in public, and would encourage every dad to support their partner in the same way as they would any other situation.

21/02/2013 at 14:03

Well my sister bought the peepbaby.co.uk nursing cover. She wears it most of the day and does not draw attention.  I think I will be getting one as the material is really light and you can wear as a top and push the pushchair even!

First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
11 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...