forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Baby

constipation

9 messages
sj2
04/05/2007 at 14:18
Hi my little girl is 5 months old and has a lot of constipation. Her pooh is alwys like putty and is dark gren is this ok? or is it something i should tak to my hv about? It hasn't really changed sice she was born. Nowi have started her on baby rice i am waiting to see a difference. any tips for constipation? or any ideas why she is like this any advice help would be appreciated.

mrsj
04/05/2007 at 16:04
Hiya MrsJ, my HV told me to give baby cooled boiled water and squeeze a teaspoon of orange juice into it for constipation. She said 2 or 3ozs would do.

Hope this helps x
04/05/2007 at 20:06
Hi
dont be too worried about the colour of the poo, is your baby is formula fed? my health visitor said its usual for formula fed babies. it can sometimes be a sign of dehydration too, is she having plenty of wees? if she is then dont worry.

harry used to get lousy constipation and colic and we regarly had to give juice like sara said. unsweetend smooth pure orange, 1 ounce orange juice to 2 ounces of cooled boiled water, and my gp also said the tip of a spoon of granulated sugar helps keep baby interseted in drinking it. i was panicking as harry was only having poos every 3 days and i was really stressing out but the health visitor said its fine, as long as his tummy is squashy still and he didnt seem uncomfortable either, it was just his routine.

when you start to wean him, dont be surprised if the consistency and colours and regularity of her nappies change, its just her bodys way of working things out. xxx
10/05/2007 at 11:37
have you tried massaging her stomach very gently. This usally works for my little one.
10/05/2007 at 11:42
Hi, i don't know if this will help, but normally a warm bath should 'loosen things up' and try popping a little vaseline round her bottom hole to help it 'slip out'. sorry to be crude, but apparently i used to suffer when i was a babe, and that used to work every time with me according to my mum.

xxxx
18/05/2007 at 13:31
Hi Kathy,

I saw my health visitor yesterday, and asked her what can i do my 8 month old son is slightly constipated, she told me to give him diluted prune juice yuk!! she said they used to recommend orange juice but not any more because of the acidity in it. Well, i hope this does the job! xxx
18/05/2007 at 19:56
oooh maybe i should not give it to harry anymore. better check on that! thanks peapod
18/05/2007 at 21:44
Wouldm't worry Kathy - i have given it to Tara before and it helps her go - i give her pear juice and that works too!!
Hope you and Harry are well!
LOve Maddie N Tara xxx
18/05/2007 at 22:17
pear juice sounds yummy and alot easier on the tum!

harrys really struggling with his little teeth bless him, but he is monstering 3 lots of food a day! is tara having solids? does she have any teeth? harry is trying his best to crawl but that coordinations just not there yet!

hope your both ok. xxxxx
First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
9 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?