forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Baby

Position of Cot and blackout

8 messages
14/08/2008 at 12:43

Hello

I'm 27 weeks pregnant with my first baby.

I wondered if anyone had any advice on how important it is to position the cot away from an outside wall?  I know I need to be careful about drafts from windows etc but I read somewhere (can't for the life of me remember where, strange that!) that the cot should not be against an outside wall.  I would appreciate any advice.

Also, why are blackout blinds so important?  I'm thinking that if my baby get's used to these he/she won't be able to sleep without them - say if we stay with grandparents/friends etc.

Would appreciate any advice, thank you very much.

14/08/2008 at 16:20

Hi, I think the rule about outside walls is just to do with them being more prone to erratic temperatures than interior walls, also if your home was prone to damp this would be more likely where it would be affected. I have our daughters cot in the middle of the room with the end where her feet lie up against the chimney breast.

Black out blinds are a personal preference, I have them but now actually leave them up a little so she can see the room if she wakes and find her teddy without struggling in the pitch black, she'll also sleep/nap in the day with the blinds up completely but at nighttime it has helped to settle her on the long evenings. They certainly aren't essential, just handy to have, Ikea do them at a great price.

14/08/2008 at 18:32

hi i'm lisa from due oct 08 thread you due in oct or nov? you should join our thread. about the cot situation i agree with annie it's all to do with the draught i think, our cot is along the window, (very small room), but also have crib in our room against a inner wall, which is where pip will sleep to start off with.

as for blackout blind you don't have to have one we do in the nursery, but not in our room we have vertical blinds and lined curtins so is still dark in there, it really is up to you i think it helps baby to settle.

lisa & pip (31wks today)

18/08/2008 at 16:20
Thanks very much for your posts. It's really good to share these things with other mums! I'm due in Nov.
Mangoes
E&T
19/08/2008 at 13:50

Hi i never got Theo any black out blinds. he is in our room which has light coloured cutrtains and is fine he can sleep in any light i wouldnt worry . I wanted him to know that daytime naps were in the light and night time is dark. What you could try before you buy the black out blinds is hang a blanket or dark material over your window and see if that helps at least you will know whetehr to spend the money. there is a travel one for holidays grandparents situations.

I didnt know wthat about the walls!

E x

24/08/2010 at 14:22
Hi. Blackout blinds make the ideal choice for toddlers, as they prevent the sunlight from entering the room while offering great sound insulation. Therefore, with no light or noise coming from the outside, your baby will be able to rest properly even during the day time. It is important for you to know that all blinds inside the home, especially those inside the children room must be supplied with child safety mechanisms that will prevent the baby from suffering blinds related injuries. I have all mine blinds equipped with such mechanisms. Here is a great article on this issue: http://www.i-newswire.com/blindsuk-net-the-first-uk-website/25967 Hope it helps
24/08/2010 at 16:26

Hi Mangoes - well im currently expecting baby no. 8 and i have never  bothered with blackout blinds in the room where myself or the baby is, the older children do have them in their room but only as its better for them to sleep - especially in the light summer nights - but only for that reason.

As for the cot thing, never heard of that one myself and i guess that if you DO have a damp wall its just common sense not to put your tiddler on that wall, but todays homes are usually treated for damp and its not a problem.  My 10 month olds cot is by our outside wall AND a window and we have no problems what so ever, as long as there are no drafts, as the others have said.  I would tend to put a new-born in a crib or carrycot tho, its much more warmer and smaller than a cot and your baby feels more secure and will sleep better (voice of experience!! LOL) hope this has helped. Congratulations on your pregnancy and hope you have a safe delivery xxxxx 

17/05/2012 at 11:29

Blactout blinds helps baby sleeps.I came to know this from www.temposhade.com

First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
8 messages
Sign me up!