forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Baby

recipe ideas for weaning

6 messages
07/05/2006 at 13:04
I wonder if anyone has any recipes for weaning. i thought if everyone sent in their babies favourites the site could have it's own on-line cookbook. The jar food is so bland and dull my homemades taste so much better. my little ones favourites are- mango and banana, strawberry and pear, roasted sweet potato and butternut squash. i am just going to start adding some protein to his diet so any ideas would be great fun to try.

07/05/2006 at 13:11
Roasted butternut squash and sweet potato

Half butternut squash- remove seeds,1 sweet potato. put them on a baking tray and roast in the oven at 180 degrees C until tender 30-40 minutes. Scoop out the flesh and blitz. This gives plenty to freeze in an ice cube tray!

mango and banana

peel,chop and boil until soft 1 or 2 mangoes. puree and freeze as above. when requireed blitz 1 banana and 2 cubes of mango together, this provides 2 portions. don't forget bananas don't freeze!
07/05/2006 at 14:50
the little on-line cookbook sounds like a great idea.
24/07/2006 at 11:53
weve been weaning for a couple of weeks now.
we bought a hand blender half price from argos and some ice cube trays which were hard to find.
we peel the fruit or veg then chop up small add some cooled boild water and microwave on high power for 2-3 minutes until soft, the put in ice cube trays and freeze.
so far we've tried:
apples - pink lady
carrot
pear
brocoli
sweet potatoe
nectarine
in this weather we take out 2 cubes an hour before feeding and they thaw nicely, add a little cooled boiled water and warm.
sophia wasnt keen on the apple to start with but seems to be takeing it better now.
as we've just started we arent mixing yet.
25/07/2006 at 14:05
Hi there
This is a great idea!
Papaya's quite a good one to try giving your baby, too.
I really just stuck to fruit and vegetables for the first few months, though I did then start to give Lloyd Harmonie sugar-free natural yoghurt. It's quite hard to find sugar-free varieties. Once I had a go at the manager of our local Sainsburys because their Blue Parrot range has unneccessary sugar in!
When Lloyd was about one, I started giving him very finely chopped mushroom, onion and courgette, lightly cook in a little olive oil, then mixed into regular basmati rice. He loved it.
26/07/2006 at 09:27
Cherries are good and taste great. Just boil them with a tiny bit of water to soften. when cool pop out the stones and blitz. Great for baby or you over ice cream in the hot weather. I also blitz strawberries, raspberries and blueberries but push trough a sieve to remove pips. For organic fruit yogurt I recommend Rachel's little organic pots they are sweetened with fruit juice. They stock them at our local Asda, also I have recently tried the Babylicious range (frozen) in ice cubes they taste great much better than jars for when you deserve the odd day off from being super dad or mum!
First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
6 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...