forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Birth

Anyone had an elective c-section after emergency c-section??

14 messages
15/06/2009 at 15:17

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you could let me know how you've found m/w and consultants reactions after asking for an elective section after an emergency section??  I will be having baby at Liverpool Womens Hospital.

I had an emergency section when my son was born, he was 13 days od, his hb was as low as 50bpm so I was rushed off to delivery and had my waters broken to bring on labour.  I had a 10hr labour with little progression which was truely distressing as my sons hb was low the whole time and he was distressed.  I really don't want to risk that again, if someone told me I'd deliver naturally without a problem I'd give it a try, but my son is 16 months now and I'm still not totally over it, in fact I'm terrified!

Any advice ladies?

Thanks,

Danielle x

28/07/2009 at 10:40

Mornign Danielle,

I totally know where you are coming from.

I had a really slow induced labour with my first, he is 16 1/2 mnths old now.  I ended up with a Syntocin drip, which made his heart rate fall significantly so I was rushed in for and emergency c section after 3 days of labouring. 

It has taken me a long time to even talk about it, but I now can.  I am 12 weeks PG again with my second and until recently was seriously considering an elective c section.  I too am terrified of having to go through what I went through last time.

BUT.... at my MW appointment, I was asked why I needed a c section, when I told her the story, she said "OK, fetal distress, thats not your fault"  THis was then followed with "I will send you to the Vaginal Birth after c section clinic".  I said pardon???  She then launched into a speech about as it wasn't my fault I needed a c section I HAVE to be allowed to labour naturally with a view to natural vaginal birth.  I asked about elective c sections and she dismissed it straight away.  I was a little unnerved by this, as until then I thought I might get the option at least, but now having had the option taken away I am even more nervous.  She later went on to say that 60% of second deliveries after c section will end up in a emergency c section again anyway!

I will see what they say at the 'clinic' but I think I will probably work myself up before the birth and may try to speak to them about elective c section on the grounds of mental anguish.  I know that may sound like I'm over reacting, but I just don't know if I can go through another trauma birth.  I have time on my side yet, so I will just take it day by day til the clinic appointment in September....but I will definately be asking WHY I can't have an elective c section and on what grounds etc...

Let me know how you get on. 

Rachel xx

28/07/2009 at 11:15

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for your reply.

My m/w has been amazing, like you I hadn't spoken to anyone about it because I thought they would think I was loopy and it was all just too distressing.  I have since found out the reason that everything happend the way it did was because Louis had IUGR which meant he didnt grow properly and should've been delivered early...thats why I didn't progress in labour, he was too weak to go through labour, so the whole problem could have been avaerted earlier, oh well!

My m/w said I was suffering from post traumatic stress, and she thinks a section would be good, but I have to see consultant on 2nd sept.  I really dont think I could do the whole labour thing with the risk of having another emergency section.  If I was guarenteed a perfect labour and viginal birth I'd go for it, but I seriously think I'd end up post natal!

I certainly dont want to end up being one of the 60% who go through that again!

Have you joined due March thread?  Is that when you are due hun?

Thanks again for reply and keep me updated too! X

28/07/2009 at 11:34

I was on the March 08 thread with Ben and am due Feb 2010 with this one.  Yes I am on the due thread again...I find the support invaluable

You?

28/07/2009 at 17:53
I meant Feb sorry, I was in Feb 08 thread for a while, am now on due Jan 2010, but definately have a better bond with this group of ladies, like you say the support is amazing, even if you are only having a moan! x 
28/07/2009 at 20:50

You must know a couple of my friends on the Jan thread then, Eri and Bump Baker and Anne-Marie and Abi. 

I have to say my March 08 thread was brilliant, I have made lots of very good friends from there.

26/09/2009 at 13:19

Hi Rach,

Not sure if you got my message in the due June 2010 thread?  Just to let you know I got my section date, 12th Jan 2010...the consultant was great and recongnised I found the whole experience last time very distressing.

How are you getting on with your decision on vbac or elective section, have you been to vbac class yet?

Danielle

26/09/2009 at 14:22

Hey Danielle,

Thats great news.  I bet you are relieved. 

I have now been told by my MW's that they see no reason why the consultant won't allow me to have an elective as I have 2 beneficial reasons as to why I would like one.  I have an appointment to see the consultant at 28 weeks, fingers crossed I will come away with a date too.    (Although my mum is putting a lot of pressure on me to go for a natural birth).

I shall look forward to hearing your news on the 12th Jan.

Rachel

28/09/2009 at 13:30

Yes relieved by stupidly worried that something will go wrong, can't please some people I suppose!! 

My Mum is the same too, she keeps saying I will regret it, but I think you have to go through what we have to appreciate our decision.

Good luck for consultant apt hun, let me know what happens! XX

19/11/2009 at 14:25

Hey Danielle,

Just to let you know I have also got my c section date.  8th Feb 2010.  Although they have changed the procedure here, and we get given an elective date form 40+ weeks not 39+ anymore.  So I will be 40+1 on day of section....unless this little tinker has put in and unannounced appearance before hand.

R xx

19/11/2009 at 15:57

Just commented on your new thread Rach!  That's late isn't it, mine will be when I am 39 + 2 days.

Danielle x

19/11/2009 at 17:38

Yeah, our authority are trying to cut down on the number of c sections as they are over the national average.  So, they think that if they refuse electives til after 40 weeks, some of us will labour and give birth naturally???  Plus, she gave me some waffle on having 39 weekers needing extra short term respiratory care.  Which I took to very much be a quieten me down reason, as babies at 36 weeks are deemed full term and rarely need support.  So I think it was a scare tactic.  (Thats not to say there isn't a reason, but I am chosing to ignore it). 

So, I am booked at 40+1.   Although, I am feeling positive at the moment, and might just give it a go and cancel the c section nearer the time.  I'm really not sure.  I change my mind like the wind changes at the minute.  I hate decisions.  All I do know is one way or another, it has to come out. 

How are you doing?

Rachel

10/01/2010 at 23:41

Danielle, just a quick good luck from me.  As you have your CS booked for 2 days time. 

Hope it all goes well

Rachel

19/05/2010 at 20:12
speaking of elective c sections i thought mums to be thinking about having one would be interested to read the short article i wrote recently http://www.articlesnatch.com/Article/Your-Worrying-Questions-On-Elective-And-Emergency-C-Sections-In-Pregnancy/1064359 
First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
14 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...