forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Childcare

Archie starting nursery

4 messages
23/09/2008 at 13:44

Hi,

I am sure I am not the only person in this situation!! I think it would help though if anyone else is in a similar situation to me,

I have been taking Archie to my local nusery for the last two mornings for an hour and two hours today. He seems to have enjoyed himself, however I am seriously worried about his daytime naps. He really needs these as he is a very active baby and seems to sleep well at night when he has had around 2 1/2 to 3 hours in the day.

They do have a seperate room where all the babies and toddlers sleep however the nannies are constantly in and out it seems to the bathroom (which is off the nursery) to change them all. Also there is a very flimsy curtain that is drawn across the window so it is really quite light.

I have always kept  my nursery very dark so it is the same through the day as it is at night so he knows it is nap time, and this has always worked. How on earth is he going to sleep with babies waking up and being put down around him?!

In an attempt to get him used to it all I have just put him down with the curtains drawn only, in an attempt to get him used to it for the next few days.

Anyone else have or had the same worries?

23/09/2008 at 14:03

Hi Katy

I understand what you are saying - my little boy (who's now 3) started nursery when he was about 7 months old, and like you, I took him initially to get used to it for a couple of hours/day.  I think you find that because it's done differently to ourselves it can be very unnerving.  I was worried about how he would sleep with the noise and the commotion (the separate room was also next to the bedroom where the babies slept), however you do find that they get used to it.  After a couple of weeks I found that Finley slept no problem.

Maybe you could have a word with the nursery about your worries, and they may be able to compensate you a little on this, I know it's difficult as they have quite a few babies/toddlers to look after.  I always found if I confided in my nursery, it usually made my fears a little better.  Maybe they could compromise on teh f

Babies are quite adaptable and do get used to these things, I'm sure he'll settle in OK and that's a good idea putting Archie to sleep now with the curtains drawn only.

Hope I've helped a little bit and not rambled too much!x

23/09/2008 at 14:17

Hi Mozzer,

Thanks so much!

23/09/2008 at 14:29

No worries, I understand what you mean - I meant to put 'maybe they could compromise on the flimsy curtain' but forgot to finish my sentence before I posted it.  Sorry!

Loving the name Archie by the way, I'm due with my 2nd baby on 1st December and I like Archie, however the dh needs some convincing!

Good luck!

First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
4 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?