forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Feeding

Cold cow's milk for a 6 month old

7 messages
01/05/2010 at 09:32

Hi everyone, just a quick question.

I'm sure I gave my 2 yr old son cold cow's milk on his weetabix from 6 months but now I'm weaning my daughter the HV I saw said they should only have cow's milk that has been warmed until they are 1. Anyone else heard this? Can't find much on the inet.

I'm breastfeeding so we don't have any formula and I don't want to express every day.

Can anyone shed any light??

Thanks very much

01/05/2010 at 17:10
hmmm thats a strange one!! i gave my son cows milk in his weetabix from 6months - also i added it cooking (cheesey sauces etc) and my HV sed that this was fine as long as he was still having formula/breast milk as his main drink.  there is too much conflicting advice - go with what you think is best.  (ps my son was fine having cows milk) back when i was a baby my mum gave us cows milk from the age of 6months as my main drink ohhh how things change lolol (none of the 6 children my mum has have ANY allergies to any food!!!)
01/05/2010 at 17:20

think the temperature is just that most babies won't like it cold? cows milk at any temp is fine for cereal and cooking with from 6 months. don't believe every hv!!!

Zo, x

01/05/2010 at 20:12
Thanks ladies, didn't think that was right!!
31/07/2012 at 03:19

yeah i would thinks so too. maybe bcos they are used to having it warm that they don't like cold milk when introduced. Just my two cents worth

03/10/2013 at 04:53

<span style="color: #666666; font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 21px;">I just started my 11month old on cows milk, for the first week i mix 1/3 milk to cooled boiled water and just up the milk each week, until she is on full strength. My daughter has a very strong appetite and is eating most solids now so i think as long as they are eating well, its ok. I also make sure she has weetbix each morning followed by a cup of prune juice to avoid constipation and has her vegies daily.<br style="color: #666666; font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 21px; -webkit-font-smoothing: subpixel-antialiased !important;" /><br style="color: #666666; font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 21px; -webkit-font-smoothing: subpixel-antialiased !important;" /><span style="color: #666666; font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 21px;">best of luck

03/10/2013 at 04:53

I just started my 11month old on cows milk, for the first week i mix 1/3 milk to cooled boiled water and just up the milk each week, until she is on full strength. My daughter has a very strong appetite and is eating most solids now so i think as long as they are eating well, its ok. I also make sure she has weetbix each morning followed by a cup of prune juice to avoid constipation and has her vegies daily.

best of luck

First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
7 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?