forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : General

c section after a natural birth

5 messages
22/03/2011 at 21:34
Hi,

To cut a long story short I have had a few probs with this pregnancy. I am 30 weeks with baby no2. the consultant has recommended a section as my baby has kidney and bladder probs which will need an op within 24hrs of birth, it is already measuring 5lb at 30 weeks and my dd had quite a severe shoulder dystocia.

I wanted a drug free home water birth, that is now out the window! I just wondered if any other mums had a section after a natural birth and how they compare? I'm worried about the longer recovery time and coping with 2 kids and not being able to drive etc.

Thanks

Gem 30+1
23/03/2011 at 06:34

Hi Gem,

I had a c-section after a natural labour as Ethan was breech.

TBH its not as bad as you may think, yeah the recovery time is a bit longer and they say not to do anything for 6 weeks but within 2 weeks i was back to housework, picking Kayleigh up etc, then i started driving at 5 weeks as i felt comfortable doing so, though you need to check with your insurance as some people dont cover you for the 1st 6 weeks.

It was a very relaxed experience and only the first 48 hours were a bit uncomfortable with the catheter (spelling?!) and the canula in. Once those are out and you can get up its good from there

Good luck

23/03/2011 at 07:23
Thanks Paula,

this is all so far removed from my nice home birth that I wanted that I was starting to get a bit freaked out by the whole thing! I'm coming round to the idea now, this baby has enough problems without adding anymore!

It is more the canula and catheter that put me off, not good with needles at all, I'll be able to cope with the epidural as I can't see it but having to look at the canula in my hand will make me feel sick!

At least if it is planned then it should be fairly relaxed I hope.

thanks again.
24/03/2011 at 07:45

Hi Gem

As you know (I think you do anyway) I ended up with a section with Grace after a ventouse delivery with Christopher. I don't have the experience of being booked in for a section as it was an emergency but I imagine the experience being a lot calmer than being rushed into emergency theatre!

Yes it is painful after, BUT not as bad as you might imagine. I struggled turning over in bed for about a week but managed general things ok. What I would say though, is DONT overdo it as you will regret it! Your body doesn't let you do too much and will let you know it! Resist the urge to do some housework! Get some meals cooked and put in the freezer before you go in to hospital and get as much help as you can oh and get a changing mat on a table downstairs as bending is a no no!

I personally had more pain after a vaginal delivery than with my section, I had an episiotomy that wouldnt heal as I contracted MRSA in the hospital! not to mention getting the stitches out and everything else lol!

Hope you can relax and think about the end product   I know you are gutted about missing out on your home birth

xx claire 33 weeks xx

24/03/2011 at 19:59
Thanks Claire,

I remember you had a section with Grace, I was an avid follower of the threads coming up to and after the Sept 08 one I was on with Freya!

I think it is just the thought of coping with 2 kids and not being able to do much that worries me. My oh will have to learn how to work the hoover, lol! I had a lot of pain after Freya's birth as I had lots of stitches that took a long time to heal. I guess it hurts which ever way they come out, just in a different way!

Trying not to worry too much, I just feel a bit in limbo as it is all a bit wait and see at the moment with all the other probs baby has. Hopefully after seeing the experts at birmingham next week I might know a bit more.

Gem 30+3 xxx
First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
5 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?