forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : General

Hyperemesis – A survivor's pregnancy diary

9 messages
12/09/2008 at 21:05

And another great tip is to use a straw to drink liquids.  I coudn't drink anything without one for about 4 months! 

I hope this helps.

Karen

15/09/2008 at 15:38

I had Hyperemesis at 11 weeks when pregnant with my little boy....it was awful and no-one really explained properly to me what was happening & why! Unlike this mum, I couldn't even keep fluids down either, never mind food! I spent 24 hours in hospital hooked up to a drip and felt much better!

I have heard that this condition is much much more common in ladies expecting twins! When I had a scan during my hospital stay, they seemed most shocked to only find one baby!

laura x 

18/09/2008 at 08:33

Hi Laura

Poor you, it's horrible, isn't it?  Yes, I had a scan for twins too!  I had to return to my GP about 5 times before they would send me to hospital for tests and the hospital admitted me immediately as I was so dehyrated, so I'd urge anyone in a similar position to keep on asking.  It was the best thing I did and after 5 days in hospital felt so much better.  It's amazing how dehydration affects you - I was hallucinating about water!

Karen

18/09/2008 at 15:01

hey,

i am now 20 weeks pregnant but when i was roughly 7 weeks i was sick constantly morning noon and nite, i couldnt keep down water or food. I was sleeping all the time. My mum and OH took me to the hosp 4 times and they kept telling me i wasnt dehydrated enough and gave me anti sick tablets. I wasnt given any help at all and was never admitted into the hosp or had any test taken.

claire xx

19/09/2008 at 20:02

hiya i think i may be in the same boat im 15 weeks tomorrow and from week 5 have had extreem sickness to the point i cudnt even keep water down - made me very dehydrated and my stomach was very swallon from heaving my guts up, the whole thing was getting me down i started thinking i couldnt do it anymore and that if i cudnt cope with been sick how am i going to cope with a baby - however there was a light at the end of the tunnel my lovely doctor has pescribed me with anti sickness pills which are working a treat, but im worried that once i finish this box its going to resurface - think ill end up taking them till the end

20/09/2008 at 09:39

I was on the pills for about 6 weeks and then weaned myself off them slowly with a few lapses!  I tried some hideous ones in the beginning that you place on your gums to dissolve - can't remember the name of them but they were grim.  Made me feel worse.  Then I got some cyclizine after going into hospital which were great.  I didn't realise how good they were until I ran out once!

It's awful that you need to be so persistant about going into hospital.  It made me feel so much better because dehydration makes you feel sick ironically so it's a vicious circle.

I really hope you feel better soon.  The great thing about it is as soon as you give birth all the funny sickness and smells disappear straight away.  And of course you have other things to concentrate on!  I must say it does put me off having no. 2 as I can't see myself coping with a baby and having the sickness

Karen

07/10/2008 at 19:27
hi well now over 17 weeks and think im getting immune to the pills as i have been sick a lot recently - i hate it - love the fact im pregnant but just didnt realise how pooey i wud feel, havin a  better day today than yesterday but still lol
08/10/2008 at 08:43

nic- there is nothing worse than being sick all the time esp when no1 else seems to understand how u feel.

Go back to ur doc and tell him they aint working and see if they can give u new 1s. I had 3 different types of pills when i was there as the 1st lot were making me drowsy when i was at work, 2nd lot stopped working and the 3rd were great as they dissolved instead of swallowing them so they got more of a chance to get into ur system. Keep at them.

My sickness lastest up til 20 weeks  so fingers crossed u dont have long left to go.

Claire xx

16/02/2012 at 20:00
Hi ladies hyperemesis is horrible. I was sick all day all the way threw my first pregnancy. I would keep odd bits of food down now and again and sips of water, thankfully I discovered melon! I visited my doc a few times but always came away feelin I wasn't being taken seriously. By the time I'd reached 6 months I'd lost 4 stone. My blood pressure was dangerously low but despite this I was still not admitted to hospital. At 38 weeks pregnant I called the hospital begging to be induced as I couldn't stand the constant nausea a minuite longer. The midwife on the phone was cryin with me but of course I was not induced. Anyway my gorgeous baby was finally born 5 days overdue and it was the best day of my life. I was actually relieved to be in labour and all the way threw I was smiling knowing I won't be sick anymore! I found childbirth suprisingly easy to cope with. I feared after all the sickness my body wouldn't cope! My baby weighed amazingly 8.15oz even tho I'd lost 4 stone by then. it was great after my baby I had slim size 8 figure and felt the healthiest I'd ever felt. Sleepless nights were a doodle after all that sickness. I went on to have a second child but unfortunately suffered again but I am now pregnant a 3rd time and amazingly I have eaten small regular meals and drank lots of fluids. There is hope ladies for a happy normal ish pregnancy. Good luck to all suffering and I promise it's worth it. And if someone's inconsiderate enough to say your not ill your pregnant slap them! Joking of course lol keep smiling xxx
First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
9 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...