forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : General

recepies

6 messages
06/03/2009 at 21:51

hi im natty and i have just had baby number 2 9 weeks ago. since being given a good bill of health at my 8 wk check i have decided to start a diet. or as i like to call it a healthy eating regime!!!

but so far finding it difficult as only have small slots of time to cook and limited foods to use. 

thought this would be an ideal place to start sharing quick easy recpies and ideas to help with the healthy eating. i am not a chef, or even really a cook for that matter and am not good at following recepies with too much emphasis on quanties or weighing foods. i have a limited storecupborad but would love loads of easy recepies i can do when the kids are sleeping or at least settled. also food which can be sharedwith the kids.

if you have any good ideas and thisngs that work well post them here and share tips and ideas. i will start us off with afew of my own. 

remember certain foods are not suitable for children and wher its states to season avoid doing this in the whole meal just on your portion if you wish to give it to a child.

06/03/2009 at 21:52

stew/casserole

can be used with either chicken lamb or beef.

firstly cover meat in a light coating of flour and seal in a frying pan (lightly fry at high heat for a couple of minutes each side.)

take off heat and let it rest

chop veg of your choice( i usually go for onion, leeks, carrots, celery and baby new potatos. but you can choose whatever you like. but harder veg are better as the dish is slow cooked for an hour or so)

cook the veg in a small amount of oil on medium heat before adding veg/chicken/beef stock (you choose as towhatyou have lieing about)

add mixed pulses/dried veg (can get them now in a mixed pack containing dried peas and bulgar wheat and various other stuff)

add the meat 

bring to boil then return to a casserole dish and put in over on med heat for about 1 hour

saeson as required

make sure the meats cooked through before serving. 

its yummy and has loads of veg and is so cheap too. and omg as simple as it is it tastes fab.

06/03/2009 at 21:53

as for the next one it can be used as a base for a cottage pie or as a bolognase or pasta sauce

chop a large onion and 2 cloves of garlic and fry on a med heat in a little oil till golden

add minced beef (or turkey for a healthier variation)

add veg/beef stock

mixed beans (if required)

2tbls of tomato puree

and can of chopped toms

2tsp oregano

simmer for 20 mins

for cottage pie - add peas and carrots and reduce down so most liquid has gone and put in bottom of casserole dish. add mash and cook for 20 mins

for bolognse - add peppers, courgettes, aubergines etc (what ever you fancy really) and any other herb required and dont reduce down as much so its more like a suce. add to pasta por put between lasagna sheetes and top with white sauce and cook in oven for 20 mins

both super healthy and filling and dead easy too xxx

06/03/2009 at 21:54

oh and one last one if you like sausages.

this is lush with jacket spud and great at winter time. good if you like a nice hot winter warmer

fry onion and garlic in small amount of oil on med heat

add sausages and fry till cooked. 

add 2 tbsp of runny honey and seasoning

add 2 tbsp of hot and spicey barbq sauce

then add a tin of chopped toms and reduce down till only small amount of sauce

eat with jacket spud and enjoy!!
07/03/2009 at 11:29

Hi, my kids and I love this quick prawn stir fry (but can use chicken, beef, cubes of Quorn etc if you dont like prawns).

Chop any veg into small strips (I usually use carrots, peppers, mushrooms, sweetcorn)

Heat small amount of oil in frying pan or wok

Add the veg and prawns and fry for approx 10 minutes ( might need bit longer if you are using meat in this dish)

Add choice of sauce, and cooked noodles

Mix together well and serve once sauce and noodles have heated through

Em x

08/03/2009 at 21:45

hi emma

that sounds really yummy. my dd is almost 3 and she loves noodles and is getting more adventurous with sauces so will def give it a try. and part of our five a day!!! cheers hon xxx

First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
6 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...