You are looking at: Home : Forum : General

What Do You Do After SMP ?

5 messages
15/11/2006 at 12:28
Hi All,

I have taking Maternity from my work place, and decided to take Additional Maternity Leave as well, to spend more time with my new baby which is due on 4/12/06...very soon !!

When my SMP runs out, what do you claim then I wonder ? Is there a weekly amount or do you just have to go down the income support route then ? I am a bit worried about this and I wonder what other mums have done in this position ?

Any advice appreciated,

Thanks Caroline xx
15/11/2006 at 15:09
Hi Caroline,

I dont think you would claim income support as you are still employed, but you may be able to claim Maternity allowance which usually works out about £100 per week. When my first child was born I went out on the sick after my maternity leave which meant i still got full pay, you have to get medical certificates from a doctor but it saves hassle waiting on benefits to get sorted out.

Where are you from?

15/11/2006 at 15:28
Hi caroline,
I got sacked from my job when i was 3 months pregnant, so i went and signed on at the job centre, i didnt find a job before i had to change my claim to maternity allowance which is a £100 a week as seaneen states, after my tribunal it was topped up to statutory maternity pay. You are only entitled to one or the other. smp is for those working and over a certian income, and MA is for those who work but under a certian income or only work part time. The additional, is if you want more time and are willing not to have any income. Income support is for low earning families, usually if you have no income and are a single parent. The citizen advice bureau can tell you exactly what you are entitled to depending on your wages. And after baby is born you will get child tax credit and child benefit.
15/11/2006 at 17:16
Hi Seaneen & Julia,

Thank you both very much for your very helpful replies. Its a relief to know that there will be something 'MA' available if I decide to stay at home with baby. I`m not totally sure what I want to do at moment, it would be nice to spend as much time with baby as possible, but I know that if I want to be able to provide more I will need to earn. Or I may just change my mind later on down the line and want to get back to work !!!

But thanks again for your reply. Very helpful indeed :-)

Oh and Seaneen I`m from Manchester area...

Regards to all,

Caroline x
16/11/2006 at 13:18
Hi there
I will link the new MA and SMP article to the top of this thread for you. It has a really useful link to a couple of government websites which can answer questions about what is suitable for you and what you will be entitled to.
If your partner is working, you might be able to get working families tax credit further down the line.
Best Laura x
First Name:
Last Name:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
5 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...
Practical Parenting

Take a peek inside this month's magazine
FREE Baby Flannel plus FREE Thomas and Friends book
Find your nearest stockist here