forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Just for Mum

Losing the baby weight

14 messages
06/10/2006 at 09:19
Hi everyone,
Over the last few weeks I have started to feel really rubbish about my weight. So I have decided to be pro-active and join weight watchers. There is a meeting on wednesday. Am I supposed to just turn up? I am a bit of a nervy person when it comes to starting new things. If anyone has been before can you tell me if I do just turn up? Also does it work? I really want to start feeling good about myself again and I am DESPERATE to try and get into my pre-pregnancy jeans! Its making me feel rubbish being this size.
xxx
06/10/2006 at 17:58
Hi Claire

I have never been to a weightwatchers meeting but I did become an online member so tracked my progress to a timetable to suit myself. I am very impressed with them as the new Points system they operate lets you eat the sorts of things you like just in moderation which is much better than fad dieting.

It can take a while to get used to knowing what foods have what points value but once you have been doing it for a while it really becomes second nature. Just dont fall into the trap of buying lots of their own ready meals and treats instead of good home cooking. Nothing wrong with them, just keep them to teats or, in the case of their cake slice or cookies, to times of desperation and needing a choccie or sweet fix as they are much lower in fat and cals than normal shop bought cakes and chocolate.

If you use the internet site along with the meetings, you have the added benefit of typing your own recipes into the system and it gives you the points value per portion which is a fantastic way of creating a diet that is totally tailored to the foods you like rather than rabbit food and beans!

Good luck but remember to take it slow and steady with lots of fruit, veg, carbs and lean meats so that you dont suffer the blood sugar highs and lows that make most people dive into the biscuit tin.

let me know how you go as I will have it all to do again in February after my baby is born and its been 12 years since my last baby bump diet!

Suzie
07/10/2006 at 12:29
Hi Claire,

I know just what you mean about feeling rubbish about your weight. My son is nearly six months old and I'm still a fatty! I went to Weight Watchers some years ago and it is actually very good, I lost two stones at the time and it's a very healthy way to eat. You just turn up and pay your money and they'll weigh you and discuss a target weight. Each week you get various booklets with different recipes and tips which can be really handy to stop you eating the same boring things week in week out! Perhaps you may have inspired me to go back again......maybe...
07/10/2006 at 16:07
Hi Girls,
Thanks for your helpful comments. I went on the site and found a voucher for free registration! So I think I am definatly going to go to the meeting instead of online as I reckon it'll motivate me more if I feel the pressure of being weighed! I am actually quite excited about the prospect of it now and am looking forward to feeling great again. Good tip about using the net along side to check the points in each meal. I don't tend to eat too much junk but when I have a sweetie binge I really go for it. I am hoping it'll change my eating lifestyle. I've tried stupid diets where I loose the weight then put it on when I;ve finished! I let you know how I get on and give you a thumbs up or down! xxx
20/06/2008 at 13:27
Has weight watchers worked out for you?  in a similar position and looking for something to try to really help - would like to join but don't want to be too consumed with looking at what other people are doing and weighing in at?
25/10/2008 at 11:15

I've been doing a 'fit balls' exercise video at home.  I know it doesnt help with the weight but it is certainly helping me get back into some of my clothes.  I know it sounds quite boring but it is something that i can fit in around the baby sleeping or playing.  When he is awake, he spends the first fifteen minutes laughing at me and the shiney ball moving around. - I was'nt prepared for all the extra 'jelly-flesh'.  So its making me feel better even if the scales is not.

16/12/2008 at 14:55
Would anyone be interested in sharing their post-baby weight-loss story with Practical Parenting magazine? We're looking for people who put on either very little weight (under a stone) or around 4 stone during pregnancy, who are happy to have before and after pictures published, and to answer a few questions about how your pregnancy and birth went.
Drop me a line if you can help!
Many thanks
x
30/12/2008 at 13:52
Weightwatchers is worth going to. After my first pregnancy went up to a size 22 by stupidly eating everything in sight. I lost 5st in 9 months with them. The only advice I can give is to count every point and don't cheat yourself and you will find it worthwhile.
03/01/2009 at 21:20

after having my second baby i lost lots of confidence, i hated the way i looked hated my body. i took a massive hump and joinned a gym.it took me ages to join as like you i get nervous and i'm shy. i go twice a week and the benifits have been great  not just for my body but my mind too.i havent lost a massive lot of weight its coming off slowly. i eat healthly at home(buut not over x-mas) i dont indulge like i used to i dont buy crisps or chocs any more. how i see it if its not there i cant eat it.

23/06/2009 at 10:47

Hi ladies

My daughter has just turned 3 and Im feeling more motivated that ever to lose the xtra baby weight... shes not really a baby anymore and I really want to have another but want to lose some weight first.

I also have another incentive... my sister is getting married in September and dont want to be a fat and frumpy matron of honour!!

I put on 4 stone when pregnant with my daughter and lost about 3 stone after the birth in the first year,,,, but another stone has crept back on again... I started eating well and being more active a few weeks ago and have already lost 5lb.... i also did the Race for LIfe 5km on Sunday and felt so good afterwards that Im thinking of doing more walking/jogging/running...

Sorry for the long post... but i though maybe we could update each other as to how we are doing weekly or something?

02/11/2010 at 15:35
Hey. My babys 4 months now. I still have a flabby belly. I felt it was going in quicker when I was breastfeeding but now that I stopped I feel I'm putting weight on again. Does anyone know the best way to loose belly flab??

Ohh yeah I'm also thinking off having another baby soon.... Do u think it's a good idea or is it too soon. I kind of want to get the second one out the way as I suffer really bad in my first trimester, and got the family help at the moment.
20/06/2011 at 16:29
Auntie Em.

Hope you're well.

I'm a writer at Practical Parenting & pregnancy magazine and was hoping you could send me your full name, age, area you live in, name of kids and ages of kids to pp_letters@magicalia.com. I love your tip on the fitness ball and would love to use it in the magazine. Could you also send me a pic of you and your little ones or even better you and your fitness ball also and please tell me what brand of fitness ball you use.

Many thanks,

Amanda Pauley
Writer
07/09/2011 at 11:26
Not sure if anyone's still chatting about this... but as far as getting rid of belly flab goes, I'm a huge fan of magic knockers!! They give me a great boost in confidence if I'm wearing something a little tight (think going to weddings, parties etc), without having to sweat through too many crunchies! Great for when I'm too busy or tired to exercise....
12/09/2011 at 17:13

Hi Laura,

I love your tip, it's amazing. Could you plase email me your full name, age, area you live, little ones name(s) and age(s) and a pic of you with your kid(s) to amanda.pauley@magicalia.com and you could be in the December issue of Practical Parenting & Pregnancy magazine. Thanks. 

First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
14 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...