forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Newborn

baby sleep

10 messages
30/06/2006 at 19:07
I am not sure if it could be a problem but my new baby constantly rolls over to his side when asleep. He is only 3 days old and I did not think they shoudl be able to do this so young?
30/06/2006 at 20:40
Hi there,

My little one is now 6.5 weeks old and has rolled on to his side several times, the first time at 3 weeks' old. 3 days though!

I was very surprised too and took a photo because I knew no-one would believe me. My mum was there the first time and we kept saying 'he can't have done' when we saw him in his cot, but he later rolled onto his side on the changing mat in front of our eyes. She was gobsmacked and she had 7 children. I told the doctor though and he wasn't overly surprised, he said that he had a lot of energy and strength. Your son's ability to do it may be affected by things like his frame, I think Florian's slimness helps him to roll onto his side, for example.
01/07/2006 at 00:05
Hi,
Each child is different and although lots of babies do not roll over that early their is no right or wrong time. Although some people find it worrying about how their baby lay's when sleeping I think that if that's how your little one has chosen to sleep then he is obviously comfortable. I think that sleeping on his is probably the safest position to sleep as sleeping on their front could be dangerous due to suffercation and sleeping on their back, they could choke if they are sick. On his side is the best of both.
01/07/2006 at 00:05
Hi,
Each child is different and although lots of babies do not roll over that early their is no right or wrong time. Although some people find it worrying about how their baby lay's when sleeping I think that if that's how your little one has chosen to sleep then he is obviously comfortable. I think that sleeping on his is probably the safest position to sleep as sleeping on their front could be dangerous due to suffercation and sleeping on their back, they could choke if they are sick. On his side is the best of both.
01/07/2006 at 10:31
thanks for this. Its all a bit new so everytime something happens it raises lots of questions. Another suprise today was that he lifted his head up and turned it the other way to look at my wife when he was lying on my chest.

The next thing has been pink urine but I think that is down to urea crystals.
04/07/2006 at 12:51
Hi Mr New Dad.
Sounds like you've got a superbaby!
I think physical confidence and strength is a factor in whether or not you are happy for your baby to sleep on his side.
The message about 'back to sleep'is deliberately simple to get across to the majority of parents, but it shouldn't be a worry.
mention it to your midwife if she is still making visits or your health visitor, who can see your baby and assess better.
But it sounds like he's just good at taking care of himself!
Lifting his head - how wonderful! if you feel he is ready, but always when you are in the room, you can start putting him on his front during waking hours, quite soon. (My two hated it for a long time.) It's a great way to get them used to being ready to push up and strengthen those muscles and open up their chests. If you think about it - we never see athletes starting a race from a backwards recline, do we?!
28/06/2007 at 01:04
our little boy slept on his tummy in SCBU and when we got him home he still likes to sleep on his tummy in day time - at night we try him on his back but he persists in going on his side through the night and often we wake up to find him trying to get onto his belly under his covers
he can roll right over too when unrestricted by a tightly tucked in sheet and we only found out when he manged to get onto the floor from the middle of a double bed! no lasting damage hopefully as he landed on the duvet but we didn't think a newborn would be quite so mobile
03/08/2007 at 18:57
Hi my son also rolls on his side to sleep, and then tucks his hands under his head. He is now 13 days old and started doind this at two days old!. We always put him to bed on his back but he just rolls onto his side, I spoke to the midwife and she said it should be safe for him to sleep this way.
05/02/2008 at 00:23
our son done this when he was a few weeks old he is now 12 mths and is still sleeping on his side we had spoke to the mw who didnt have a problem with it  
05/02/2008 at 22:12

this is the safest way to sleep

make sure you put him on the opposite side each night or he will maybe get a flat head on one side

the sick will flow away instead of going back into his mouth and potentially chocking him - just think of the recovery position, it helps the lungs breathe easiest and sickness to not block the airways

First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
10 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...