forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Pregnancy

Am I normal?

1 to 20 of 22 messages
03/09/2007 at 16:42

Hiya,

Found out I'm pregnant last week (still in shock and over moon!). It's not sinking in yet but every twinge and I'm worried. Suppose thats normal but just wanted to ask if the following is normal;

Really sharp pains in my boobs

Constipated (TMI I know!)

Twinges in my belly (really uncomfortable but they don't hurt if that makes sense!)

If anyone can give me even just a bit of advice I'd be greatful. Not got my first midwife app for a few weeks yet and unsure as to how far on I am (either 6 or 10 on Friday).

Thanks

Katie xoxo

03/09/2007 at 16:47

Hi Katie

I had lots of twinges and niggles at first - in fact for about the first three months really.

I had very severse ab pains at 5wks and my boobs were horrendous from the day before my period was due - but i just thought that meant i would have a nasty period - not that i was pregnant.

If i was you, i'd make a note of anything thats troubling you and pop to see your GP just to make sure and put your mind at rest as the midwives dont tend to get invloved until you hit 10wks or there abouts (well the ones in Chesterfield, Derbyshire dont anyway!)

Try not to worry though my dearest.

Julie (22+4 days)

03/09/2007 at 16:50

Oh Julie I'm not too far from you! I'm in Barnsley! ha ha!

Katie xoxo

03/09/2007 at 16:56

Did you have bad flooding there a few months ago?

It was terrible up here - the main roundabout and bypass from the motorway were completely unusable - the water at one point was almost to the top of the road signs.  And the row of houses which i used to live in were inches from flooding.

03/09/2007 at 21:03

Hi Katie

I am now going into my 18th week and I remember when I first found out at 6 weeks I was really nervous, I was paranoid that everytime I went to the gym or made any sudden movements I would do some damage. The nerves do settle down and I think are very normal, I also believe feeling twinges are common as you are prob more aware of your body. Try and enjoy the experiences, but I am pleased to say I feel much better in the second trimester, far less sensitive and less tired and am beginning to enjoy my pregnancy a lot more. Make sure to ask you midwife anything, thats what they are there for, and I hope everything goes really well for you.

I have my appointment with the consultant tomorrow and am awaiting the date of my 20 week scan, it is amazing how fast the time goes xx

Take care

03/09/2007 at 23:16

Hi Katie

Congrats on the pregnancy... I am now 40+4 weeks and can still remember clearly the aches and pains and cramps I had in those early weeks and how much I worried and panicked - I was convinced something was wrong all the time and longed for my first scan to know all was okay... as I find myself saying to lots of people now, one thing my journey has taught me is that just about anything goes and just about anything is normal in pregnancy!!! You get feelings, sensations and emotions you have never felt before and you constantly question and worry but from speaking to other women, it is totally normal!!! As with anything, if you are ever worried consult your MW as she should put your mind at rest.

Take care & good luck!

M

xx

04/09/2007 at 09:20

Hello ladies

Mummy2B - are you going to have to be induced?

I'll hate it if i go over my due date as i am so impatient with everything.

Half the time i still forget that i am preg and then i'll get a kick and remember - or like this morning i turned over in bed and ripped my satin pj top as my boobs are ever expanding and Hubby found this hillarious.  He started singing 'Shes a perfect 10, but she wears a 12.... she's a sweet 16, BUSTING OUT AT THE SEAMS...'

Men! 

04/09/2007 at 10:09

Hi everyone.

Congratulations Katie, you must be so happy! Im 38 weeks now, but had similar symptoms to you in the early stages. Constipation, or the opposite (hope Im not grossing you out lol), is normal because of so much going on inside you right now. I didnt get the twinges in the belly, but boob pain was awful at times.

Good luck. Em x

04/09/2007 at 11:35

Hi Julie

My midwife will probably want to discuss induction at appointment this week but I don't agree with induction unless something is wrong with baby or me so will be declining for now (I believe nature takes care of itself and baby is happily in right position and engaged so it is just a matter of time!) - if I go really late then they will monitor baby to make sure still okay in there but hoping he/she will make an appearance before then!! I was born 14 days late myself and it is not uncommon in my family for longer pregnancies... I know baby will come when he/she is ready and when the conditions are right - just trying to be patient and not drive myself mad wondering when that will be!!! LOL

Take Care

M

04/09/2007 at 13:27

I was born 6wks early so i am hoping that may happen with my pregnancy as well - that would be great as then i wouldnt have all the worries of when it will start.

Two of my friends are due this month and one who is on her third baby said this morning thats he's been having mild contractions on and off since yesterday but nothing starting properly...

Its gonna drive me mad when they both have their babies and mine isnt due for a few months after that!

04/09/2007 at 13:38

I have been having cramps and pains & BH for nearly 2 weeks on and off and it never comes to anything so I have started to ignore all the twinges now so hopefully I will be taken by surprise one day when they don't fade away!!! It is the hardest waiting game in the world - I compare it to being a child waiting for xmas morning but the BIG catch is you don't know what date xmas is!!!! There are 5 of us (friends) due around same time - one baby was born by section 2 weeks ago... the rest of us are still waiting, although by dates I should be 2nd, I am convinced my other friend not due to 14th is going to have her's 1st!!! Fingers crossed for your friend that is her baby on the way... you'll get there in the end Julie - I suppose we have to comfort ourselves with the one certainty that no matter how late, baby will definitely come out some time!!!

katie - hope you got our replies and you are feeling more at ease! take care

M

xx

04/09/2007 at 14:25

Hi Julie and Mummy2b,

Thanks for your replies. I do feel a bit better now. Had the scare of my life this morning. Went to toilet and when I wiped it had really tiny speckles of blood on the paper. Started panicking but realised I've got a little cut down there and that's where the blood was from. But it was only tiny bits of blood.

Julie, yeah we had real bad floods a few months ago. Luckily I live on a hill so it was OK! But my sister got flooded big style.

Mummy2b, I think I'd feel same as you, would want the baby to come when it felt ready. More naturel that way!

Had really bad aches in my pelvis and at the bottom of my back today. And feeling very sick. But I suppose having that is better than not having anything at all!

Katie xoxo

04/09/2007 at 14:35

I had no symptoms apart from very tender breast - no sickness etc so for months i just didnt feel pregnant - even now i forget despite this lump for a gut!

I guess each pregnancy is so very different and so long as we are being told that its ok my midwives etc then we have to trust that they know best...

Julie x

04/09/2007 at 16:35

Yeah you're right Julie. Every pregnancy is different. I like this site as you get to hear from so many people what they went through and it helps put your mind at ease if you're worried.

I've decided to stop worrying and just enjoy it. After all, it's not that often I'm going to be pregnant!

Katie xoxo

04/09/2007 at 16:54

Glad to hear you are happier Katie - I have found TB great for comparing stories, symptoms and feelings ... always good to hear how things are really from real people!!

I think pregnancy is a massive emotional and physical journey that is very special and very different for every woman... do enjoy it (sometimes if you feel rough or emotional you need to remind yourself of this!!)... I have really enjoyed being pregnant and in fact feel a little sad that it will soon come to an end as I will miss the secret bond you have with baby in your tummy but then on the other side I am buzzing with excitement over meeting my mini me finally after what is now nearly 41 long weeks!!!

Julie - you must be one of the lucky ones physically - I think I am but I did have 16 weeks of sickness & lots of exhaustion and stretching pains in the early months... then all was blissful for a while, then I had really bad hip pains, badly swollen feet, carpal tunnel in my hands and very very itchy skin!!! I still think I am lucky with these symptoms as some of my friends have had it a lot worse - I find thinking of each as a postive sign that my body is creating a new life helps me ignore the frustrations!! Now that I am overdue though I feel great again (still have numb hands from carpal tunnel and swollen feet but so used to them now!)... but alot of pains have eased or gone...

M xx

06/09/2007 at 14:42

hiya ladies

congratulations to you all and i hope i can get soem advice from you all.Im coming to 20weeks this friday ie 7th sept and have started lookin at my feet in a strange manner coz they seem to be swelling.is this normal at this stage?

whats the cure/remedy/solution as they tend to pain alot at the end of the day.

from,

shibs..first time nervy mom to be  

06/09/2007 at 14:45

Hi Shibs yeah I think this is prob normal I was reading my book earlier today that you should try and make sure you sit with your feet up for 30 minutes a day so I guess feet swelling is quite normal. However am also a first timer and finding it all a bit daunting still but I would try not to worry about it too much, try and rest if you can !!

Hope the swelling goes down

Take care Kate

08/09/2007 at 12:15

Hey,

Ive just found out that im 6 week pregnant !! And I have never felt so weird in all my life!! I dont quite feel myself...I even knew i was pregnant before i took the test. I was still in that much shock i took 3 home tests and the nurse took 1 aswell!!

I get all sorts of funny feelings at the moment...i wake up during the night with a terrible fever, im always so warm!!! I have odd little cramps in my stomach too...its like twinges that ever so slightly hurt but pass really quickly. Ive also started my morning sickness i thick aswel!!! I was in an Italian last night and all i could smell was sweaty men!!! I hurled in my mouth (sorry for being gross) and since then ive never stopped feeling sick!!! 

Its all so very very odd....my boyfriend thinks its funny i have a shrimp in my tummy (as he calls it). He thinks the pics of 6 weeks of embryos are gross...i find them cute!!!

got to go.... x x x x x 

08/09/2007 at 13:20

Hi Jennifer, congratulations!

If you think you feel weird now just wait till later on, when your boobs start leaking and you fart for Britain

Seriously, hope the sickness passes soon and enjoy your pregnancy.

Good luck. Em 38+4

08/09/2007 at 15:14

hi guys... at the beginning of my pregnancy i could smell thing really bad too. i went to my sisters one day and i could smell this really strong stink of tripe sticks. she had given oneto the dog about an hour before and that was it. anything i could smell that day smelt of tripe sticks and everything i ate tasted like the smell of tripe sticks. it really made me ill. my sister still wets herself laughing whenever i'm round there and can smell tripe sticks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 to 20 of 22 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...
MadeForMums
Thinkbaby
Practical Parenting
Junior

Take a peek inside this month's magazine
FREE Baby Flannel plus FREE Thomas and Friends book
Find your nearest stockist here