forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Pregnancy

Breech - turning advice?

12 messages
08/10/2009 at 16:10

Had a scan at 28 weeks which showed beanyboy is breech. Just had my 31 week appt with midwife and he's still breech. Have another scan next week but would like to work on getting him to turn before then.

Any suggestions on how to get him to turn round to a lovely Occiput anterior position?

08/10/2009 at 20:08

Hi,

Don't know an awful lot about this but I have heard that bouncing on a birthing ball can help, as can getting down on your knees and leaning forward on your arms.

Just googled it for you...try these:-

• Sit the wrong way round on an upright chair and lean over the back
  • Sit on an upright chair, with your feet flat on the floor, and lean forward so that your belly hangs between your knees
  • Sit on a birthing ball
  • If you sit a lot at work, take regular breaks to stand up and move around. If necessary, sit on a couple of cushions to keep your hips raised up above your knees
  • Kneel forward over a pile of pillows, a beanbag, or a birthing ball, with your knees apart and your bottom down; watch TV in this position
  • Get onto all-fours and move around
  • Put a cushion under your bottom if you’re travelling by car
  • Lie on your left side, with your right leg over and in front of your left leg (with a cushion or pillow between your knees)
  • Swim or float on your front (avoid breast-stroke leg actions if you have any pelvic pain).
Positions to avoid
  • Sitting leaning back on a squashy sofa or chair
  • Sitting with your legs crossed
  • Squatting deeply.

Hope that helps?  Let us know how you get on hun!

Danielle and Ruby bump, xx

08/10/2009 at 21:43

Hi Sunnyinside.  My son was breech and in the end I had a caesarean.  However, the things I tried included....

Washing the kitchen floor (crawling on all fours is apparently good!)

Moxibution sticks...a herbal remedy...quite bizarre and did make my little one more active though not enough to turn him.  You can buy the sticks on eBay and possibly from herbal remedy stores.  There is more information on them online.

You can also go for a manual turn at the hospital.  Ask your mw for information.   I couldn't go for this because there wasn't enough amniotic fluid. 

I really didn't want a c-section.  I was really freaked out about the idea of the epidural and catheter!  But looking back, it wasn't that bad.   You don't feel the epidural because they use a local anaesthetic and the catheter is a actually great!  No urge to pee!  Nice after all the running to the loo during pregnancy, lol! 

What I would say though...if you do have to have a c-section, really try and get someone to help you out around the house for the first 2-3 weeks.  You will need time to bounce back to your normal self!

Oh, and one last thing...you still have over a month to go.  The vast majority of babies will turn themselves during this time.  So try not to worry too much.

Good luck lovely x

09/10/2009 at 08:10
Thanks ladies I'm likely to be induced early due to other health problems, hence the slight flapping now. A friend has warned me against doing too much to try and turn him though in case I get him turned then flip him back again!
09/10/2009 at 09:48

Hi Sunnyinside,

My baby went breech at 36 weeks (although apparently that's when they're supposed to stop moving around so much due to running out of space!!!) by the time I went for a scan at 37 weeks at the hospital, she was back to being head down. At 31 weeks they still have an awful lot of wiggling room, but if you spend 15 minutes a day on your hands and knees (or slouched over a birthing ball) is supposed to encourage the baby to be head down and facing the right way.

With a bit of luck baby will turn before you need to worry, and if not, they can always do an ECV as long as you have enough fluid.

Good luck!

10/10/2009 at 16:29
Get on all fours!!  That's what my midwife suggested when pregnant with my daughter and it worked.
10/10/2009 at 17:12
trying to avoid all 4's if possible, as I have arthritus and fibromyalgia, so it's not the most comfortable position to be in.
10/10/2009 at 22:39

Pregnancy and arthritis...what a terrible combination.  I bet you're trying to take it as easy as possible!   

Your friend may warn against flipping baby back the wrong way.  But if he is currently the wrong way, you've got nothing to lose.  If you do nothing he could stay breech!  Just stay aware of where the kicks seem to be.  I always felt kicks really, really low down (made me want to wee), so I knew Isaac had stayed in the breech position.

Let us know how you get on x

11/10/2009 at 18:20
I don't know what anyone elses experience is, but I KNEW when Libby had gone breech and back again cuz it hurt like hell!!!
14/10/2009 at 21:10

I don't know if policy is the same everywhere, but I'm about to have a C section as our little darling is breech, and our hospital wouldn't try ECV until after 37 weeks as they are more likely to turn back again before then. Unfortunately in my case it didn't work, have two friends who also had to try ECV and it worked for one but not the other. If you can try other things and get baby to move without resorting to ECV it'd be well worth it!

The hospital suggested what they call knee to chest, basically you kneel, lower your upper body to the floor and stick your bum in the air. You're meant to do it for 15 mins every 2 waking hours, but I couldn't keep doing it, had knee surgery a while back and it aggravated the scars (and is generally pretty uncomfortable, puts a lot of pressure on your arms/neck/shoulders too depending on exactly how you lie) Basically a lot of what is suggested aims to get the baby upside down to persuade it that's a good way to be, and to then move of their own accord.

I had a look online and swimming is meant to be helpful, keeps everything loose rather than being tense and preventing bump turning. Head/hand stands are also suggested, I can't do this normally on dry land so must have looked nuts in the local pool. I also tried putting iPod headphones in the top of my knickers and playing classical music - that's suggested as they can hear it and might try and turn to get closer and hear the music better (can also try shining a torch down there, similar logic)

How sound a lot of this is I don't know, but I figured it was worth a try. I have heard moxibustion has a good sucess rate but haven't found any practitioners round here and didn't want to DIY it.

Good luck with persuading your bump upside down is the way to be!

15/10/2009 at 07:54
Had a scan yesterday and it confirmed what I suspected, that bean had turned the night before So now I'm getting used to being kicked in a whole different way!
17/10/2009 at 08:23

Great!  I'm so pleased.  Let's hope little one stays put.  No handstands in the swimming pool for you now

First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
12 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...