forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Pregnancy

Can I get pregnant while on the pill?

1 to 20 of 47 messages
20/02/2007 at 15:40
All the paper work will tell you that all birth control methods are 99.9% effective if taken correctly. But what about that .1%? Well I am in that tiny group. I used the pill as my main cours of contraseptive since I was 16. I am now 22 with a 13 month old daughter. I am living proof that you CAN get pregnant while using the pill. I know what your thinking... "she must have not taken it correctly or forgotten a pill" or "she must have been sick or on antibiotics or something." Nope. I got pregnant the first time about a year out of High School. However, it was spontaniously aborted by my body. I like to think that it became a miscarriage BECAUSE of the birth control pill.
After that, my now husband and I were VERY careful in making sure we did everything right. We used condoms every time, even though I was still taking the pill, convinced last time was a fluke. Well about 6 months after I misscarried, my husband asked me to marry him. In the middle of "celebrating" our engagement, the condom broke. Low and behold, I have a beautiful 13 month old daughter, perfect to a T.
I am in the .1% of women who the pill had failed to protect. I'm not mad... Its just inneffective in me, I guess.
20/02/2007 at 16:04
heather your not alone.

i concieved on the pill and i never ever forgot one or took it late. it does happen. little harry wasnt going to let anything like a contraceptive pill stop him lol, hes four months now and hes just perfect.
21/02/2007 at 09:49
Hi heather, i too fell pregnant on the pill with Lucie who is now nearly five! I'm now pregnant with my 3rd who i fell pregnant with using condoms! what are the chances of being in the 0.1% twice!!!!!

I'm going to try the coil next as i'm incompatable with the injection and implant, but have also considered being sterilised but my doctor says at 24 i'm too young. Seems i'm not allowed to decide when i've had enough children!

Louise xx
22/02/2007 at 09:40
i was also on the pill and I am now 18 weeks pregnant, bit of a shock at first but i cant wait.

Just goes to show ladies that these babies really are meant to be, they were determined to be in your life for a reason.

kel xx
22/02/2007 at 17:52
i too fell pregnant whilst on the pill. It really upset me because i know i took it properly, but the first thing my parents did was accuse me of not using contraceptives. I told them i was taking my pill properly, hadnt been sick or had diarrhea or anything. They still dont believe me to this day, and my son is about to turn 4!!!

23/02/2007 at 01:39
i feel pregnant myself on the pill but sadly lost baby at 11weeks 3days but it can to do with your own body sometimes it doesn't work for some people

it can be hard with you actaully using contraception and still getting pregnant....
Hope all of you are well

Sincerely
Lynne

05/03/2007 at 01:06
Did any of you still experience your regular period, but end up pregnant while on the pill?
Thanks-
Niki
21/03/2007 at 11:54
I fell pregnant on the pill just before my period. I still had one but it was very very painful. I had been on the pill for 6 years (since I was 15) mainly to stop the pain. OH an I was suprised that it had suddenly made a comeback. A few weeks later I new something wasnt right. I took a preg test and lone behold I was pregnant! When I say to people I was on the pill they kinda jus 'hhhmmmmmm' as if to say ' you might of been on the pill but you should have taken it properly '. I dnt even care anymore. My mum fell pregnant 4 times on the pill (misscarried twice before she even realised) and I am allergic to condoms. I am going to try an implant after having my baby. x x x
24/04/2007 at 15:49
Glad to know that it does happen. I was using the pill and know I didn't miss any. I am now 14+1 and whenever I say to anyone that I was taking the pill they just look at me funny as if I am making it up. My Aunty also fell pregnant while on the pill, so I think it happens more then people realise.
xxx
24/04/2007 at 21:45
it does, and it used to really wind me up when people assumed i missed a tablet or been ill, it was so patronising
27/09/2007 at 20:56
I'm actually trying to get pregnant and I need feedback... I heard that you can take birth control pills to regulate you period and to have your hormanes balanced... As to say I'm on the pill and I've only been on it for a month... What do I need to do???
12/10/2007 at 21:47
Hi, my name is Gena. I'm 24 years old and been with my husband for 10 years but I have been married to him for 3 years.  I've been taking birth control pills on and off since I was 16 because of my irregular periods and migraine headaches.  Well, after we got married I decided to start using them again.  We recently decided on our anniversary this past week to trust the pill so he can enjoy having sex on his end too instead of pulling out.  Because we were so afraid I was going to get pregnant with just a little bit of ejaculate.  Because my best friend, who is now on her 3rd child, was on birth control all three times, she conceived.  But now we both are saying if it happens it happens.  Well, I was just wondering after reading all your stories, could I get pregnant too? 
03/12/2007 at 13:11

Hi, my husband and i have been debating for a while now about havin children, we've now decided we would deffinatly like a child.

I've been taking the pill for just over a year, i took my last pill yeaturday, do you think it would be possible for me 2 concieve tonnight as i have not taken the pill?

If not, how long will it take,

Thanks, Kacy.

03/12/2007 at 13:23

Hi Kacy. When you stop the pill, you can, in theory, concieve at any time, as soon as you release an egg. It can take up to 6 months for your cycles to become regular after stopping the pill so you may release an egg straight away or nothing may happen for a few weeks. There really isnt any way of knowing how long it will take as its very different for all women. I fell pregnant whilst on the pill with my first daughter. I then went back on the pill after she was born and came off it again after 3 years to try for #2. I concieved within 6 weeks that time so really quite quick.I then went back on the pill when she was born and came off again on the 4th of march this year to try for #3. I concieved 2 week later so super quick. My cycles pretty much returned to normal straight away but like i said it can take time. I hope you dont have to wait too long hun, good luck x

Em x

04/12/2007 at 09:19

I too got preg on the pill - and having two kids at 22 was never a plan for me so im forgetting about the pill from now on and getting something heavy duty - i was trying to convince my bloke to get the snip but at 23 i doubt the'y do it anyway !

06/12/2007 at 22:25
Im alittle confused, I have been taking the pill cerezette for a couple months but i have missed a few days and now i am 3 weeks later. I have done a pregnancy test and its come back negative so im alittle confused could someone help me please!!
07/12/2007 at 21:49

jackie

i was on cerezette and i only used to get periods every 3 months. my doc said its normal with that brand of pill, but i ended up switching it because i couldnt stand all the not knowing and worrying.  if the tests are neg then dont worry, but if you reguarly forget your pill it might be an idea to switch to something else, that was what i ended up doing. xxx

20/01/2008 at 16:12
i am on the 91 day pill meaning i only get my period 4 times a year. i had unprotected sex on new years and i am concerned because its a high dosage of bc and it gets screwed up easily if you forget one well new years eve was on a monday this year and i had forgotten to take my pill on saturday night and then i took it late afternoon on sunday and then i forgot it on sunday night and took it really late afternoon on sunday and on monday night i forgot to take it and had unprotected sex on that tuesday morningish and then i took the forgotten pil when i got home that late afternoon. is there a possibility that im pregnant?? because im not supposed to get my period until late Feb. i think and its too early to take a pregnancy test
16/06/2008 at 18:06

hello i was jus wonderin im on the pill n have been since i was 16. I got pregnant with my son while on the pill, he is now 4. Im still in the pill but have swithched to marvelon. my pack had run out n on day 5 or 6 of the 7 day break i had unprotected sex with my boyfreind. I also had sex again about 5 days later. I then started my new pack the next day. Basically i had a week where i was supposed to have been taking my pill but hadnt n had unprotected sex twice before i started the new pack. So im wondering is there a possibility of pregnancy. Its too early to take a test and im still takin the pills.please help.

Chloe

16/06/2008 at 19:14

there is a chance you may have gotten pregnant during this time, but it all depends on your body, if the pill did not work for you before did they know decide to put you on some other form of controecption? after the pill made me sick i was offered the coil and others they tried to fit the coil after i had my son but it never worked... anyways best thing to do is wait for another week or so and then test if its neg wait for your period, if you don't get it test again and then maybe go see the doctor if you are still worried about it... not sure what else to advise you about

good luck

1 to 20 of 47 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...
MadeForMums
Thinkbaby
Practical Parenting
Junior

Take a peek inside this month's magazine
FREE Baby Flannel plus FREE Thomas and Friends book
Find your nearest stockist here