forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Pregnancy

Cramps and aching

1 to 20 of 23 messages
04/10/2005 at 16:38
Hi all,

I'm only 6 weeks gone and I've got period pain like cramps in my stomach and thighs, not all the time and not too bad, but it has been there for the past week. I have also started getting a bit of pain in my left hip and lower back.

Is any of this normal or should I worry??

04/10/2005 at 18:06
Hi Carolyn, first of all, congratulations on the pregnancy!

I'm at 8+6, so not far ahead of you. I also have had quite a few aches and pains and from what I've read and been told by the other mums on this forum it's quite normal. My doctor told me not to worry about any pain that was no more than usual period pain, as the period-like pains are most likely the pains of the uterus beginning to grow. Anything more severe than period pain, or any sharp abdominal pain is another matter and worth checking out.

In the very early days I had thigh pains as well, it felt a bit like I'd pulled something. Then about your stage I felt as though I was coming down with the flu or something.

It sounds to me like your aches and pains are perfectly normal, but if you're at all worried then a call to the surgery can put your mind at rest.
05/10/2005 at 09:29
Hi Scribbler, thank you and congratulations to you as well :)

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure it is perfectly normal, but I have been struggling to get a doctor in my area so I've not been able to see anyone as yet. As luck would have it I have now been allocated a doctor and have an appointment today!
18/10/2005 at 07:46
Carolyn, how did your appointment go? Have you got a date for your first scan yet?
18/10/2005 at 09:32
Hi, the appt was fine thanks, it was with the nurse who asked me lots of questions and checked my blood pressure etc. She told me the pains were normal, but if they got worse to go to hospital.

So last Tuesday the pains got much worse and I went to hospital. They thought it might be an ectopic pregnancy and after lots of examinations sent me for a scan. Fortunately everything is fine - the baby is healthy, in the right place and has a clear heartbeat :) I'm 8+5 which is about a week further on than I thought. I'm still waiting to be appointed a midwife, but I've been assured that I will have one soon. I won't get another scan now till 20 wks - that's so long to wait!
18/10/2005 at 16:27
Hi Carolyn

Was pleased to read your message.

I'm about 5 weeks, and I have been having period like cramps for the last two weeks. I didn't think I was pregnant until my period was late because of them!
Glad to know it's normal!

Good luck and take care x
20/02/2006 at 18:10
im 6 weeks-ish and had to have an internal scan last week as im having menstral cramp like pains in my lower abdomen and top of my legs. They out ruled an ectopic pregnancy but they still havent really ex-plained what is causing it. Along with that im having severe sickness not just morning either some days everything i eat is brought up again and certain smells can set me off too. would love to know any anti-sick remedies that arent harmfull to baby.This is my second child ..i also suffered Endremetriosis between pregnancies.
22/12/2006 at 14:31
hi ladies i have been getting abdominal pain aswell mainly near my right hip and my legs seem to go dead alot weird i know ive had two scans and they still cant tell me whats wrong i get real worried as ive miscarried late before and really dont want to go through this again!!! so i hope all you ladies get better and you are in my thoughts

also i have another scan on the 28th so i will let you all know more then
23/12/2006 at 07:07
Hi,
Glad all is well Carolyn.
I'm 5 wks preg today..v.excited..v.terrified as have had an ectopic in past.
I'm getting a sort of burning pain at top of my legs round to my hips..feels a bit like a chinese burn...slightly painful but mainly just v. uncomfy is this normal???
I had this last time I was preg.. it's too early to be having signs of ectopic according to doc...so is this just normal?
03/12/2007 at 17:13
hi i am five weeks gone and i am having lower back pain it is mainly when i am standing ihave had some pain near the front not to bad i AM WORRIED I AM M/C AS I HAVE M/C TWICE the pain don't feel the same as my last m/c but it still worrys me i am hoping on going the docters soon  
12/12/2007 at 11:01

Hi there, I've just found out that I'm five weeks pregnant too....with my first. Very scared but happy too.

I too have been having horrid stomach cramps just like period pains which run across the front of my belly area but I keep getting aches on one side too. I had my first appointment with the doctor last night when I explained my worries of ectopic pregnancy and she just printed a load of stuff off the NHS website and gave it to me. This has just made me feel really paranoid and I now seem to be getting all of the symptoms - psychosmatic I am guessing as I didn't have them all before my visit. She told me to go back if I had any more stabbing pains but I am now so unsure!!! It's two weeks until I get to see my midwife.  Can anyone tell me what sort of pains are normal???

03/02/2008 at 09:59

Hi,

I will be 5 weeks tomorrow, and going to the doctors to confirm things on Tuesday.

I have also been having wierd pains really low in my stomach and groin - just like period pains but so much duller (i always had terrible period pains so this is nothing like as bad)

Ive been really worried because i still cant believe im pregnant.

Im really hoping its normal so im glad to hear that its not just me having these feelings.

19/03/2012 at 21:24

im 33 weeks now and im having real bad aching pains, its real low, its constant and stops me in my tracks, can some 1 tell me what it could be plz xx

22/03/2012 at 11:58

Hi, im 4.5 weeks pregnant and i am suffering with cramp like period pains, but im guessing these are just because this is when my period would be due, i am also getting very bloated feeling in my belly and a small pain on my right lower stomach, i am hoping everything is fine, i am booked in a week today to see the midwife, but reading this it appears these pains are just normal and not enough to worry about, thanks for the advice everyone has left on here x

23/03/2012 at 22:46
Hi Danielle, Congratulations on your pregnancy ! I'm almost 6 weeks and I've been having cramps and twinges for 2 weeks solid. We have a due November group going on here too that you might want to join, it's great for advice as we are all at the same stage. Think it's under chat to mums due the same time X
03/04/2012 at 13:05

Hi,

I'm six weeks pregnant and I have stomach aches alot..its not continiously but mostly in the afternoon I feel pain...is it normal? should I worry?

06/04/2012 at 19:25
Hi Belinda and Congratulations, I'm almost 8 weeks and ive had cramps and twinges every day, I had 7 week scan this week and everything is fine, so I wouldn't worry unless you get severe pains. We have a due November group on here, and it's great for advice as we are all the same stages x
04/03/2013 at 19:33
Hi, I'm about 5 weeks pregnant and having stomach cramps Aswell, this will be my second baby and I don't remember having this with my 1st, it's more of a dull ache all the time and I was just wondering is it normal?? Also when should I book in with a midwife as the doctor didn't do anything when to see him last week, I can't remember much from my last pregnancy and I know a lot of things have now changed! Some guidance would be much appreciated! x
29/05/2013 at 22:57
Hi there just found out I'm pregnant but I keep having pains is that normal.??
21/07/2013 at 08:30
I'm 5 weeks today, and terrified, I had a miscarriage last December, and one may just gone, so to find out I am pregnant again was a shock so soon after miscarring, I'm ecstatic though, I keep having achy pains all over including my hips, my boobs hurt only on & off & I only feel slight nausea in the morning, is this normal ?
1 to 20 of 23 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...
MadeForMums
Thinkbaby
Practical Parenting
Junior

Take a peek inside this month's magazine
FREE Baby Flannel plus FREE Thomas and Friends book
Find your nearest stockist here