forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Pregnancy

DO YOU BUY THE CHILD PROOFING STUFF NOW OR LATER!

3 messages
21/10/2005 at 20:56
DO YOU BUY THE CHILD PROOFING STUFF NOW OR LATER!

When is a good time to buy the child proofing stuff - while your pregnant, just after the birth or when the baby is actually getting into things? Dilemma, I have been asked to choose from a list of pregnancy gifts (bit presumptuous if you ask me), but anyway, every thing on the list was taken.

So I thought, a very caring gift is the gift of safety! Do you all think it is too soon to give this?
22/10/2005 at 09:39
Hi Kelly,

I can't believe you've been asked to choose a present from a list, I'd only accept that from close family, anyone else could take a running jump. I mean, it's one thing being given a list if you've asked someone what they want but otherwise...

Anyway, to the question. If I were a parent I'd save the safety equipment for just before we needed it, to stagger the costs. But if you're buying a present then I'd say it doesn't really matter when and earlier is probably better as later on they might already have it. The only thing is that they might have certain requirements for safety equipment and what you buy might not match their needs. If you buy something very generic then that shouldn't be a problem though.

The other thing that I'd recommend as a present that might not be on their list is a baby sleeping bag. These are great for helping babies (not newborns though) get a good night's sleep.

HTH

24/10/2005 at 13:54
Hi Kelly,
I always refuse to buy anything from a list sent to me from someone other than exceptionally close family because a gift is something that is given with thought and care, not something that someone else has decided I SHOULD buy them.
If you want to give a gift, what about something like a hand/foot casting kit? These are relatively inexpensive and are wonderful reminders as baby grows to just how small they once were. Perhaps a professional photo shoot for baby or the whole family? (Olan Mills have some good offers sometimes). I'd always go for something personalised, something that will be a keepsake rather than something that will be used while baby is small and then stored in the attic.
First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
3 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...