forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Pregnancy

Dying hair during pregnancy

8 messages
04/07/2007 at 14:28
Hiya

I bought a hair dying kit earlier from Boots, but now i'm wondering if it's safe for me to use? I've used it before and i haven't had any reactions to it. Id be grateful if someone could give me some advice =)

Lv katie x
(10+1)
04/07/2007 at 14:55
Hi Katie

I've been wondering the same thing, have heard from a couple of places that we shouldn't use hair dye, but I don't really know. I just haven't done mine yet to be on the safe side, I only go a shade or so lighter so its not really noticable.
Hopefully someone will be able to give us some info.

Anna (24+2)
04/07/2007 at 15:19
Hi Katie and Anna.
I had this concern aswell, and my hairdresser says while it is safe to dye/highlight your hair there is a chance it may not take during pregnancy. Would advise to use cheap home kits, then if it doesnt work youve only spent about a fiver instead of £40 plus.
Em x (29+1)
04/07/2007 at 16:38
Hiya

Yeah the kit i bought was only £3.99 so might give it a try later and see if it works! It's only a mahogany colour and i've got brown hair so less likely to work. Just been reading on a website and it says it is best to wait until after you're 12 weeks gone, as there is less of a risk of the chemicals causing any harm.

Also found out that using semi-permanent pure vegetable dyes such as henna is completely safe to use, but no idea where I would find that! Lol.

Katie x
04/07/2007 at 17:08
Best test it out first, I have been using home kits without amonia, if you are early in your pregnancy deof wait.
Try a health shop or chemist for the henna colour my hair was fine and like you I am dark. Your hair can go funny and change colour so do a dye test on a little patch first.
I will be doing my this week..my greys are coming thru argghh
Tracey n bumo 35wks 6 days
05/07/2007 at 14:25
My midwife told me to wait till i was 12 weeks. So i did and everythings fine so far.
And i've just had my hair bleached and dyed again, everythings fine still.
Hope thst helps
Sarah
35+5
05/07/2007 at 19:31
Katie, think the body shop sells natural hair dyes like henna.
05/07/2007 at 21:39
Ohh i might have a look there then! Dont really want to risk using the one ive bought before 12 weeks!

Thanks!
First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
8 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?