forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Pregnancy

EPIDURAL yes or no ?

10 messages
29/07/2012 at 21:43

Hi All ! 

Im 29 wks pregnant and i am starting to think about pain relief through labour and want your advice on epidurals ? yes or no.

Thanks Katie x

30/07/2012 at 03:45

my best friend went through epidural and said she was glad she took it as her contractions were rather painful and she coultn stand the thought of anything worse than that. After hearing what she has to say, i think i willl be opting for one too when the time comes. 

30/07/2012 at 21:45

i personally didnt have one with either of my children ihad gas and air although i could still feel some pain it wasnt so bad, friends who have had epidurals ended up having assisted deliveries and as was worried that would happen it put me off having it myself good luck xxx

31/07/2012 at 21:17

thankyou for ur replies, i guess im thinking well in advance because this i baby #1 for us and im totally unaware of whats coming lol ! Im hoping (fingers crossed) just to have gas & air but if pain is too much just wondered what the next best thing was ... suppose time will tell , fingers crossed.

Thanks alot,

Katiex

05/02/2013 at 13:10
i got advised to have an epidural due to twins but with my first i never as long as the baby/ies are ok go for any relief they offer lok
06/02/2013 at 07:49

It all depends on your situation. I had planned to try and cope with gas and air, but due to an induction where I had a reaction to the drugs I ended up in a lot of pain. I opted for the epidural and it did end the pain. But bear in mind my labour then slowed so much it never got going again and I had to have a ceasarian.

I don't regret any decisions I made as I did them with the best information I had at the time. But next time I intend to have as little interventions as possible. That doesn't mean I wouldn't consider it again if the circumstances called for it.

I wouldn't decide to have one before you've even gone into labour though, but every women is different do a lot of research and decide how you feel about it.

07/02/2013 at 21:08
Hey Ladies ! Well my little one is 4 months old now and turns out I got to 10cms on just gas and air, pushed for 3 hrs and then had a section because he was 9lbs9oz and facing sideways stuck ! So hey ho ... All worth it though he's perfect would do it all again in a heart beat ! X
12/03/2013 at 18:59

I say no. Unless there is a real reason why a woman should NEED it, there is no need to put your baby though the additional trauma of being drugged on delivery. Millions of women give birth without any pain relief and everyone knows the pros out way the cons when it comes to an epidural.

13/03/2013 at 12:40

An epidural is the only form of labour pain relief that doesn't affect your baby Claire. All injectable forms like pethadin and diamorphine definitely affect baby and their ability to feed but an epidural only affects the mother.

13/03/2013 at 20:28

correct amy, epidural only affects the mother thats a fact. xx

First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
10 messages
Sign me up!