forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Pregnancy

hayfever!!!

12 messages
02/06/2008 at 21:10

hayfever is somthing i have NEVER had but this last couple of days ive had it real bad,, i spoke to my mum about thing i could possably take for it and she thinks that anti-hayfever drugs are ok u just cant take them while breastfeeding but when i looked it up on the internet it said never take anything like that during pregnancy!!! my m/w is out tomorrow morning so ill ask her if i can take anything, its just driving me nuts,, i was just wondering if any of you mums to be suffer with it and are allowed to take ur drugs during ??

zolo xx

02/06/2008 at 21:28

I don't suffer from hayfever, but when I was at the maternity assessment the other week, a lady was there due to what appears to be an itching problem, & the doctors sent her off with some piriton - not that I saw her prescription, just heard the mw's telling her about it, they named the drug, & I was sat 2 feet away!!  Piriton is great for hayfever, but can make you drowsy, though this doesn't happen to everyone & must be safe in pg or they wouldn't prescribe it.

Some pharmacies are reluctant to give pg women anything, & I certainly wouldn't advocate you buy the stuff available in the supermarket, as not heard whether they are safe, but I think you would be ok with piriton - ask the mw tomorrow & get a prescriprion from your GP - why pay for it if you don't have too!!

Hope that helps

02/06/2008 at 23:57

If your going to take medication consult your gp or midwife first .. because the reason why us pregnant woman arnt aloud to take stuff like that is due to the caffene in the medication... hope this advice is ok

claire xxx

03/06/2008 at 11:06

i get really bad hayfever, and i wasnt allowed to take my normal stuff got prescribed prition, but like amanda said it can make you drowsy which isnt good since i already find it hard to stay awake! im allowed to take 3 a day but ive been just taking the odd 1 now and again since i know they said its ok but you can never be too careful. did you ask your midwife about it?

vicky x

08/06/2008 at 18:13

hi everyone, my pharmacy has a herbal hayfever medicine. They are tablets, the manufacturer is 'Potters' and they're called 'aller clear'. They are safe for pregnancy (after 12weeks) and whilst breastfeeding. Once just breast feeding you are able to have nasal spays and eye drops. My doctor wouldn't prescibe piriton for me when preg or whilst breast feeding   may have to g back tho if things don't improve.

Some people swear by echinacea (spelling????) it boosts the immune system and is good for congestion problems - anyting's worth a try right?

Also honey is used to treat hayfever but you need to try and find a honey that is produced locally in your area - this will help to make you immune ot the pollen in your area. As far as i'm aware it doesn't matter how you take the honey - in te, on toast etc.

Only other tip i have is to buy menthol crystals (very cheap from pharmacy) inhale over water - will clear a bunged nose a treat - i used to fill the sink with them whilst i was in the bath - heaven!

Also - wear lots of mascara - the thought of walking around with panda eyes should be enough to deter you from rubbing and itching your eyes!

Good luck to all - it's nice toknow i'm not suffering alone!

Catherine & Osian. xxxx

08/06/2008 at 18:30

Hiya!

Im devastated that I cant take my regular for my hayfever medication. i suffer badly from it every year but this year I cant take anything as Im bfeeding so unfortunately Im going to scratching my eyes out and rubbing my nose like mad this year.

Karen and Olivia xxx 

08/06/2008 at 21:30

I've always have bad allergies and in the early days of pregnancy I asked my GP about my prescribed nasal spray and he flatly said you should take anything whilst your pregnant unless you can possibly avoid it.

I've just had a week off work for what I thought was a bad cold but now realise is really bad hayfever. It's really getting me down. I'm trying the inhaling and Albus Oil and Vicks on my chest at night to try and improve my breathing and break up the congestion. But it all feels like a 'band-aid' on a broken leg. the skin around my eyes is stinging tonight from all the running and rubbing. I'm going to try and go back to the office tomorrow in the hope that the sealed and air-conditioned enviroment might help.

I'm going to try and hold out though and not take any drugs, for the time being.

10/06/2008 at 13:24

i know how you feel tinker! my doc prescribed my prition but i havent been using them. going tomorrow to get eye drops and nasal spray, i am so bunged up its horrible not being able to breath. i found a air ironisor a couple of years ago which you switch on at night time helped me it was only £10. ive have to dig it out cos my hayfever was fine last year, so typical!

hope you feel better soon

vicky xx

13/06/2008 at 09:40

I am suffering terribly & being 39 weeks feeling really uncomfortable . M/w said Pirtion good to take althrough local pharmist recommended going to see GP just in case . GP prescribed loratide which is equivalent to Clarityn which I take now & again . Nothing is really helping but do advise going to see GP as pharmist/ m/w  & internet never seem to agree.

take care

Pearl

13/06/2008 at 10:06

hi pearl, my mam has bought me some herbal tablets called new era combination h, you let 4 little white tables dissolve on your toungue which takes seconds and they have no taste, 3 times a day. i got them yesterday i only took the 4 before bed and i had a much better nights sleep it was great!

18/06/2008 at 18:21

Hey Ladies,

My hf is driving me MAD!  Mum got me this allergy thing from lloyds pharm, you have to use it for a bit before takes effect, you put it up your nose and it lights up - you look like a bit of an idiot with it on - but if it works who cares!

When i've been using it for a week i'll update on the progress!

xxxxxxxxxx

02/07/2008 at 16:03

Hi all

I was told in no uncertain term that all antihistamines may be harmful to our babies, so i got prescribed a nasel spray and eye drops not sure why its so different in different places.

Kirsty

P.S Hi Laura

First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
12 messages
Sign me up!