forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Pregnancy

I'm 40 weeks and 5 days!!!

1 to 20 of 27 messages
22/11/2006 at 16:12
I am a first time mom and was due on Friday 17th November, but so far no signs of labour starting. I am now sat at home twiddling my thumbs getting agitated with my family and friends constantly calling me to see if 'i have any signs' or 'have you had the baby yet'......aarrrrrrggghhhhh!!!!.

I have tried the curry advice, but ended up having diorehra at 3am in the morning. Tried the sex thing but we ended up in stitches laughing for about 2 hours!!!!

Please help, does anyone have any advice.

Thanks
23/11/2006 at 14:15
Hi Jo

poor you! i hope its not too long for you all the advice i can give you is my midwife told me to stimulate my nipples if i was sick of waiting, so i had lee in stitches sat there randomly twiddling them, we tried the curry the sex, the usual, so we tried the nipple theory as apparently it produces the same hormone thats in seamen that sets off labour, and this was on saturday night about 8 ish, and my waters broke at 2am sunday, however!! harry was totally comfortable where he was and i had to be induced three days later as he had no waters for 60 hours.

so try that, if you can get away with it. you said you were sat there twiddling your thumbs so you might aswell twiddle your nipples! ha ha

i hope its not too long for you. xxx
23/11/2006 at 16:20
Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the advice. Since posting my thread yesterday, i have been to see a consultant today who has booked me in for Monday to be induced.

Not looking forward to it, it all sounds gorey, but i know that there has got to be an end to this at some point.

We were also advised today to try fresh pineapple and sex, so we have just been to tescos and bought a pineapple and we are planning the other for tonight. So fingers crossed!!!

Thanks again xx
23/11/2006 at 16:25
Good luck when it happens! Try some curry, too.
24/11/2006 at 00:51
Hi jo. please dont feel concerned about the induction. i was induced, its not as bad as all that.

i was induced at 6pm by an application of prostin gel. that takes 6 hours to work, it did nothing for me so they give me another batch. that did nothing, do they would have done a membrane sweep which involves the breaking of the waters, but mine had already gone.( five days before the scheduled induction) they then put me on a drip that began my contractions, and thats when it all kicked off. the gel starts artificial contractions and kind of forces your body into labour so its not the natural progression of things, but trust me, by this point you will have had enough of it all!

more or less straight away i began some mothers of contractions, they were real bad boys. i tried it with gas and air for 16 hours but after this time i was still only 2cm progressed due to harrys size. it was after 60hrs after my waters broke they gave me an emergency section, but its not always as dramatic as mine, my freind was induced and she had her baby three hours later. it literally is different for everyone. please dont be worried, they will take good care of you. and think about it this way, its a countdown, and if your baby is anything like harry, he will try his damdest to make an apperance all on his own!!

you will be fine,just try and persevere, and i know its not easy. keep me posted. xxxxxx
22/02/2007 at 15:40
Hello Jo

I was due on Friday 17th too a bit of a suprise for me as my first born was impatient and arrived at 32 weeks!!!

I am happy that I have got to this stage though but am getting more curious by the day whether it's a boy or girl. I'm currently gulping down cups of raspberry leaf tea and have also just brought a pineapple to munch on. I had a membrane sweep last Saturday and was 2-3cm dilated and I have a consultants appointment tomorrow where they are likely to offer a second sweep.

Think I'll be initiating sex with my husband tonight because even if it doesn't induce the labour it should be fun trying.

Hope all goes well for you

Take care Emma
25/02/2007 at 19:26
Hi

I am 40 weeks and 5 days and i have a appointment with a consultant on wed regarding be induced there not so keen to do this though as my babys weight is already 10lbs ,and they say it could be one long labour especially as hes so big - so as you can imagine i am very nervous ,but they are saying they want me to give labour ago before they consider a c section - good thing is though i had what they call ' the show ' last night and this is still happening now which they say are the early signs of labour so fingers crossed x
26/02/2007 at 13:11
I would love them to induce me! im 39 weeks with my fourth child but this has been the worst experience of my life i cant wait to get him out ! he's measuring big for his dates so they wont help me and im really fed up and despite numerous efforts to induce myself nothing is working i'll swap with you now!

good luck.
22/03/2007 at 12:45
Hi all

I'm only three days late, and already the midwife is talking about booking me in for an induction. Why can't they leave well alone. My first was 10 days late, second was 8 days late, they induced me at two weeks late with my third. Quite clearly I like to hang onto them. Many years ago they didn't interfere too much. Does anyone out there agree with me that they want to intervene too quickly?
15/06/2007 at 10:18
Im expecting my third and was induced with my first two,im 38 weeks now and have an awfull feeling they will induce again!Its not that nice either as you are not 100% aware of what is actually going on and you have to constantly ask whats next.Ive been trying to keep very active so in the hope it will all start naturally,but you tend to get pretty tired on your feet all day and repeatedly cleaning the same thing over and over!!
Going to try eating pineapple tonite which is supposed to soften the cervix.Good luck to everybody!!!!
15/06/2007 at 13:41
Hi Giselle i was induced with my first and your exactly right, you are always having to ask what comes next, they are so crap at keeping us informed. i had the prostin gel and then the petocin drip after 12 hours with the gel not doing a damn thing lol. the petocin was horrible and straight away i had contrations that felt like i was being hit by a bus,. i had 12 hours with the gel, 23 hours with the petocin and after 50 hours they sent me for an emergency section as i was physically exausted and still only 2cm dialated. i was nesting like mad on the saturday, even scrubbing the dirt form the tiles in the bathroom! my husband says hes gonna get me pregnant again cos the bathrooms looking shabby lol. i think apart form keeping active giselle and the old wives tales methods that didnt work for me either lol all you can do is wait hun. im allergic to pinalpple so couldnt try that one myself lol. good luck
25/07/2007 at 20:44
can tinned pinapple work just aswell? im 40+2 and getting really bored. tried eve
rythin else, even had a sweep today, which they said my cervix is fingertip size at the mo.
03/08/2007 at 12:44
Im 41 wks 2day with my 1st baby! have had a great pregnancy no sickness, not many aches or pains jst swollen ankles n low iron. I feel perfectly fine, i jst wana av my baby now!! feels like ive been pregnant 4 a lifetime! ive tried curry n bouncing on birth ball, apparently pineapple only works in large amounts n i cant stand the taste anyway, i couldnt tolerate the sweep so looks like my baby doesnt want come out! im booked 2 b induced in 5 days! this past wk has gone soo slowly i jst wana meet my baby!
30/10/2007 at 13:34
i am 39 weeks and have had the show how long before the birth can that happen i am due on the 7th
30/10/2007 at 15:59

hi tony

i had my show at 37 weeks and harry came bang on time full term. midwife said you can have more than one show, and only lose a small amount of your mucus plug, so you might not go into labour straight away, i was a bit dissapointed when nothing happened after mine, but i reckon its a good sign at 39 weeks, your baby might be coming hunny my friend went into labour 2 hours later after her show, and she was 39 weeks. xx

31/10/2007 at 11:22

I havent been on here for ages!! my lovely baby girl arrived in july,i was two weeks late and asked for a sweep,i had only heard about the membrane sweep from searching through lots of preganacy web sites.That was on the friday morning and i was told that if nothing happened i had to go in to be induced for the third time!!which i wasnt too pleased about.The sweep only made me bleed a little with some mucus,i kept going like a mad woman in the hope that i would go into labour naturally before the sunday nothing did,so on the sunday morning i had to go in to start the inducing process.I had the prostin gel,twice!! and still nothing,they told me to wait over night to see if the prostin started something,all i had was like period pains.At 12 a doctor offered me another sweep and boy!! that one hurt!! i settled down for the night but couldnt sleep as i was aware that my baby would be arriving the next day which was a shame as i have had already 2 inductions from my other two girls.Luckily by 6 am i was feeling like something was starting which was weird as i had in the past had my waters broken for me and first labour id had the drip also,so i kind of felt like i didnt know what to expect.I went for a wlak with my husband at 7 am and felt like labour was on the way.I got back up to the ward and told the midwife i think the sweep had done the trick.With it being my third baby i felt more in control,i dealt with the pain alot better and necer got onto the bed until the last minute!!it all seemed so quick!! she arrived at 9am and the midwife said my labour had only lasted 2 hours.So even though i had gone over my due date by 2 weeks for the third time,the sweep did do the trick and i didnt need as much intervention as i had with my first two,which left me feeling like i had done well and done it kind of by myself.......a NOTE TO YOU ALL EXPECTING,DONT WISH THOSE LAST WEEKS AWAY OF PREGNANCY,REVEL AND ENJOY THE FACT THAT YOUR LITTLE GEM IS GETTING READY AND PREPARING TO MEET YOU...SO THERES NO RUSH!!

01/11/2007 at 14:31
im 40 weeks with my second child and have decided not to be induced after 12 days. I was induced with my first and was not told all the facts and complications that could occur. Is was given prostaglandins and went into labour nearly straight away and was only in labour for 6 1/2hours. This time I want to do it totaly by myself any advice? Has anyone done the same?
20/01/2008 at 18:07

Hi I am 41+5 with baby numbert three i had my other two at 8 and 10 days overdue soi can't believe i am still here third time round.

I have tried all the tips but someone ha just mentioned using my breast pump. Ihave also got a book on acupressure to try out tonight,

Any tips or ideas???

I cant wait to have my baby now  

22/02/2008 at 17:25
hi im 42 weeks having really bad pains and very unconfortable i cant sleep or do anything.
22/02/2008 at 17:27

Does anyone know of any ways that can help to induce labour natereally?

1 to 20 of 27 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...
MadeForMums
Thinkbaby
Practical Parenting
Junior

Take a peek inside this month's magazine
FREE Baby Flannel plus FREE Thomas and Friends book
Find your nearest stockist here