forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Pregnancy

Low Placenta..Hmm?

5 messages
25/07/2009 at 16:16
Hi ladies,
I was told at my 20 week scan that my placenta is very low, blocking the exit sorta-speak! I have another scan coming up but not really sure what it means to have a low lying placenta! Does it usually move to the normal place before birth, if not what happens do you have to have c-section or have an internal to move it? lol i'm so clueless and dont really want to ring the midwife just to ask! I do know from other sites that the majority of placentas do move to a normal place, but i'm scared mine wont as i really do not want a c-section..or any other cutting of anything to move anything lol any help is appriciated xxx
25/07/2009 at 16:27
I had a low placenta at 16 weeks (I had a bleed and an extra scan) but mine had moved up  enough by 20 weeks for them not to worry.  If it is completely blocking the exit (placenta praevia) then is is normally dangerous for you to give birth vaginally and most will have a planned c section as it is safer for you and baby.  The next scan will tell them whether the placenta has moved up enough for you to have a natural birth or not.  a lot of the time it does move up as the womb stretches but if it hasn't  and you have to have a section just remember that the impotrant thing is that you and baby are both safe and well.  Good luck and let us know how you get on.
26/07/2009 at 12:25
I had the same thing at my 20 week scan, just had another scan at 34 weeks and placenta has moved up so all ok. Its only a small chance that it wont move usually so fingers crossed you'll be fine
26/07/2009 at 16:06
Snap!! i have low placenta too, they call it placenta previa, if its not completely blocking the cervix it usually has a good chance of moving up as your womb expands. I was diagnosed at my 20 week scan too, i have another scan in 7 weeks time when i'll be 36 weeks gone and hopefully they'll tell me its moved outa way enough, sometimes however if its blocking the cervix completely it wont move and you'll end up with a c-sec as gem says.  All the best and dont forget its a healthy baby thats delivered safe and well that counts!!! xxxx
28/09/2009 at 18:42

I had a low placenta but unluckily for me it moved even further round so I ended up with lots of admissions due to bleeds, a c-section and a blood transfusion! Not trying to put you off but i think you do need to know the other end of the scale. All of the doctors said that it is quite rare and that for most people it does move round, unfortunately mine had other ideas, but I have a very healthy, happy 2 1/2 yr old who is a super girl!

Wish you the best of luck x

Maddie N Tara xx

First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
5 messages
Sign me up!