forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Pregnancy

Pregnant after a miscarriage

1 to 20 of 47 messages
23/05/2006 at 12:13
Hi everyone,
I've just found out I'm pregnant by home tests, following a missed miscarriage at 14 weeks in February (my first ever pregnancy). My missed miscarriage was discovered at my dating scan, which was a devastating, horrific shock - as I certainly still felt pregnant. I had absolutely no idea that anything had gone wrong.I am truly happy to be pregnant again - but I'm terrified that something will go wrong without me even knowing. I don't have many symptoms of being pregnant, no morning sickness etc. which feels even worse. I'll be seeing my doctor next week, but I guess it's going to be another 3 weeks before I get scanned. I wonder if anyone else out there has been through anything similar and could offer me any advice? It would be much appreciated!!
24/05/2006 at 15:13
Hi Bettyboo, I think you'll find quite a few experience contributors here and hopefully some have been through your experience and can offer real tips for you.
I would say (as editor of the site) that whilst it's very hard not to worry – you're probably still dealing with the tragic discovery at your scan in Feb – but miscarriage is rarely a sign that future pregnancies will be problematic.
I really hope for you that you will be able to relax and enjoy some of the real pleasures of pregnancy when you get through that scan, but it's frustrating that you have to wait.
This early in your pregnancy there isn't really a lot midwives etc can do anyway, which is why that first scan is not until 12-14 weeks.
You could buy a doppler (where you can hear your baby through your tummy), but there might be a danger that you become too preoccupied with listening to the beat and, if the baby just decides to lay in a way that makes this sound faint, that you will put yourself through unneccessary worry.
I'm sure you'll be fine and I know the lovely ThinkBaby members will give you much support.
Do keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.
08/06/2006 at 09:26
Hi Bettyboo,
I had a missed miscarriage last October when i was 12 weeks pregnant, it was also my first pregnancy and i don't think anyone can ever tell you how it feels unless you have been through it, i was totally shocked and upset by it all. I then fell pregnant more or less straight away and am now 29 weeks pregnant!
I can totally understand your concerns at the moment, when i discovered i was pregnant again, i bled for the first 2 weeks, so i thought the worst, but the best thing to do is just take it easy, eat healthy and try to relax! - I know its easier said than done, but best of luck!
ali
08/09/2006 at 11:29
hi there,

i know its been a while since anyone was on this site but i just thought i would share my thoughts. ive just had a miscarriage at 12 weeks, i went to hospital and i had an evacuation procedure done which was a relief. im feeling lots of different emotions which is natural but im going to stay positive cause it didnt take us long to concieve. i also know now that my blood group is o positive which is the most common group.

im now looking forward to relaxing for a bit and see how things go. good luck to everyone!

ali;)x
08/09/2006 at 11:40
Hi Bettyboo
I miscarried in February at 10 weeks and I am now nearly 17 weeks pregnant again. I too felt uneasy as I did not feel sick or tired like I did the last time but I put that down to maybe things not being right from the start, I have not had the tiredness or sickness this pregnancy and thus far everything is going good. I did pay for an early scan myslef at 10 weeks for an extra bit of reassurance. Try and take it easy and try and keep busy, the next few weeks will fly in before you know it.
14/04/2007 at 12:54
Hi there, I've recently just had a miscarriage at 7 weeks, and the month before that at 6 1/2 weeks (I think I may have also had one last November but it was very early days). I'm trying to remain optomisitc though, and hopefully next month we can start to try again. I've been offered tests, but as with the great British NHS they won't be until late June, so we're gonna give it another go and see what happens before then. Has any one else had multiple miscarriages? And if so do you have any advice? My doctor said something about taking aspirin to thin the blood before and during the first few weeks after conception? Does that ring any bells to anyone?

Many thanks, Kind regards

Emma King
24/04/2007 at 20:56
Hi. I'v just had a miscarriage at 11 weeks. I had slight spotting and went to the early pregnancy clinic, the scan showed the baby died arounf 7/8 weeks. I am finding it really hard to cope with and feel devasted. This pregnancy was not planned and after the initial shock my partner and I were delighted but now after this traggic news, my partner doesn't want to try for a long while. This has made it all the more devastating. I had to have an evac of womb yesterday and found the medical staff so matter of fact and cold. A nice word, sympathtic approach would of helped so much!!! The grief I'm feeling is as if someone died and I feel so low in mood- its hard to cope with day to day life!
Has anyone felt this way?

Lisa
ali
24/04/2007 at 23:27
hi lisa,

very sorry to read your news, i miscarried last sept at 11 weeks and had an evac done too. was a hard time after that for a few weeks and it was a stressful time for me and hubbie. the only people i could speak to about what happened was my parents and my hubbie so felt lonely sometimes but after some time we tried again, conceived 2 months later, good news is that im now 24 weeks preg.
i can understand how you must be feeling, there are just so many emotions that you feel all at once, i really hope that you gain strength by talking with those of us on this site who have gone through the same thing. if you need to talk we are always here for you.
alix
25/04/2007 at 07:55
Lisa we lost our little boy at 17+6 weeks on April 3rd this year, it is devastating and heart breaking and the sadness is overwhelming, be gentle with yourself, your grief is very real I know that when partners don't agree on when to try again that can make things even harder. Try to remeber that your partner will be grieving too and that it is normal for some to feel that trying again staraight away is good and for others it is simply terrifying, he may change his mind when he has come to terms with things himself... men often loook as if they are coping just fine however inside there is often more grief than we realise.

I'm so sorry for your loss, if you ever need to talk you are very welcome to email me, I have found much comfort in talking to others who understand.

Best Wishes

Annie
25/04/2007 at 11:44
Hi Lisa - I had a missed miscarriage last September and had to have an evac of womb. I too had no idea anything was wrong as I even had a very swollen abdomen which was probably due to the placenta and fluid so that it was a "bump" starting already. I so know what you are going through. It is such a shock and so disappointing. It's like the last 2-3 months before you found out were all for nothing. It does get easier and hopefully you and your partner will reach some common ground once the initial shock has passed. I am now pregnant again (10 weeks). I have had an 8 week scan and everything looked fine. I wish ~I could enjoy my pregnancy but I am constantly worried that at the next scan the same thing will happen again although I'm told by the staff at the pregnancy support centre that if you get to 8 weeks it is very unlikely.

Hope you are ok,
Viki
30/04/2007 at 09:47
hi bettyboo
sorry to hear your news but dont give up hope that things will be ok this time. i have had 3 missed miscariages and i am now due baby in 11 days. dealing with the miscarriage is just the start i remember all too well each time i got pregnant only buying white toilet roll as peach and pink look like faint traces of blood when wet and holding breath when i went to toilet. Its not easy but worth it. it helps to talk to someone close about how you feel or talk to your gp mine was great. i had morning sickness with first mis but no symptoms at all with this pregnancy so don't worry just think positive and good luck
10/09/2007 at 22:23
I had a miscarriage in July, and my 9th week. It was devastating to my husband and I. It was my first pregnancy. I was in the E.R. two nights in a row. The first night they told me everything was alright, and that vaginal bleeding is normal during first trimesters. My cervix was closed. They did some test, seemed no problem. Told me to stay in bed for a few days, and was out of work for the weekend. Very next night, had to go back to the emergency room. I was in so much pain, the bleeding was heavier. I was in the waiting room over an hour. Once called back, I had to go through all the same things again only for them to say "you had an incomplete miscarriage. see your O.B. soon to have this taken care of. sorry for your loss" I stayed out of work for 2 weeks trying to cope with this. It is still hard at times. Although we never knew the gender, it was out little girl. Named her Aiko, which is Japanese for "Little loved one".
Suz
11/09/2007 at 23:28

hi there brandi,

i too had a miscarriage last year and it was hard. had an evacuation done, felt like a very surreal situation to be in. we started to try soon after and i was preg again two months later. last month i gave birth to our daughter emma and she is a joy. i felt very alone at times when i had the miscarriage but on thinkbaby there are lots of people who have been through the same thing. it helps a lot hope you benefit from coming on this site.

suzxxxxxx

13/09/2007 at 14:08
Thank you for those messages. I have suffered two miscarriages since last November 2006. I just found out I was pregnant two days ago and feel very low about it all- the second miscarrige happened in June. I want this baby, but am terrified of another miscarrige! I just want to enjoy this pregnancy.
01/10/2007 at 21:32
My husband and I are wanting to try again. I'm in fear of another miscarriage. I seem upset at times at people around me with children. It seems like people who do not need kids can have them all the time, but the ones who truly want the kids and can actually love them and raise them right have the hardest time.  After one year of trying to conceive, I finally got pregnant, and lost it within weeks of finding out. I waited a month before deciding to try again. So, I am only trying to keep positive thoughts in mind to have a baby.
01/10/2007 at 22:58

Hi

I had two miscarriages. One in December and one in March. They were fairly straightforward and both at 8 weeks and the doctors couldn't tell me why as I'm in good health and have regular periods. I'm now 20 weeks pregnant with a baby boy. All through this pregnancy I've been scared of miscarrying again, so I completely sympathise with those of you who are in the same situation. It hurts when doctors tell you miscarriage is common, but the truth is it really is common and many women who have 1 or more miscarriages go on to have healthy babies without ever knowing why they had to lose one. Until I lost mine I didn't know another woman who had miscarried, but since then so many people that I know have told me of their own losses that I never even knew about.

01/10/2007 at 23:50
please do not give up after 3 missed miscarriages i have now got a wonderful baby girl of 4 months called Amber and i am 36 i waited 9 years for my little princess and she is so worth it. everyone thought i was mad carrying on but time would of run out before  my longing for a baby so i picked myself up shed lots of tears and tried again. the only thing i did diferent was i took an iron  tablet and a boots multi vit and mineral tablet with my folic acid , dont know if that was a help but that was the only thing i did different. good luck!
03/10/2007 at 09:45

Hi, I have been reading this site for months and only just plucked up courage to join!  Had 1st m/c Jan 07 at 8 wks, after experiencing spotting for 12 days.  GP sent me for scan at EPAU and tho I knew exactly how pregnant i was they tried to persuade me that all was ok and to come back in a wk to see if the baby had grown.  V frustrating as I knew the measurements were 3 wks behind what they should be, and that there should be a heart beat.  The baby had obviously died at about 5 1/2 wks.  I m/c 3 days later, returned for a scan the following wk, fortunately a d and c wasn't necessary.  Had absolutely no advice on what to do if miscarriage should happen, and afterwards none on when to try again, what poss causes could be etc.  Am now experiencing 2nd m/c at 6 wks (after 9 mnth of TTC): last experience has prepared me but it is certainly not any easier.  Everything is happening quicker this time - 4 days of spotting whereas it was 12 before.  Scan tomorrow, but there isn't much point in going I don't think as I know that I will not be pregnant by then, and will not have finished m/c either.  The most helpful thing for me has been to read about other peoples experiences to give me hope for the future, and to realise that I am not alone in all this!  Every tiny detail of other peoples experiences can help if you can relate to it - sometimes I hang on to every word! Thanks to everyone for their honesty and openness!

06/10/2007 at 22:11

Hi,

I miscarried in July at 9 weeks pregnant. A real shock as I already have a three year old daughter and didn't expect anything to go wrong. I found the lack of information about what actually happens once you have miscarried a real problem (e.g. recovery period, when does the bleeding stop etc). I opted for medicene rather than an op to remove the baby as I am Insulin Dependent diabetic and didn't want the risks of a general anesthetic.  Emotionally my husband and I are doing well although nervous about how we will feel if I get pregnant again. We are trying , no luck yet but early days.  Seems like everywhere I go there are pregnant women and can't help feel very envious. Three friends have also recently given birth and holding their babies has been hard - wishing that it was mine.  Our three year old asked for weeks afterwards if there was a baby in mummy's tummy, which was difficult to answer.

Good luck to all those trying or recently pregnant.

xxx

14/10/2007 at 16:09

Hi, It has been reassuring to read the posts on here, as sometimes you feel quite alone going through this. I have just discovered that I am pregnant  was undergoing tests for my irregular cycle when the scan showed a gestational sac   carried out loads of tests to check  so fingers crossed. I had a missed miscarriage last October and it devestated us both, lots of tears and hormones all over the place. I have to  say the support I got from the hospital was good. I can't stop myself from thinking that the same will happen again (I am 37, so realising that biological clock is ticking too). Thinking of booking an ealry scan which the hospital advised this week  part of me wants to part of me doesn't! I suppose time is the answer.

1 to 20 of 47 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...
MadeForMums
Thinkbaby
Practical Parenting
Junior

Take a peek inside this month's magazine
FREE Baby Flannel plus FREE Thomas and Friends book
Find your nearest stockist here