forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Pregnancy

Travelling via Taxi with Toddler - how does it work?

4 messages
29/01/2009 at 09:31

Hi there, I am 3 months pregnant and we have just decided that we fancy a last trip abroad before I turn into a whale and baby arrives in the summer...

We were thinking of going to Spain or the Canaries in March, but I have an 18 month old and I'm not sure how it works when we arrive.... normally we get a hire car and order a car seat for it...

But this time we will be getting a taxi from the airport to the hotel (25kms). Do taxis have car seats?? Or would she just sit on our lap? Is it legal? I am suddenly stressing out about this aspect more than the flight etc ha ha! Any help / knowledge is greatly welcome...

I guess it doesn't just apply to Spain - what do taxis do when they have a child as a passenger?? I've never been ina London cab either with my toddler so am totally curious how it works!

Thanks, Kelly x

29/01/2009 at 11:45

I took a car seat with us! You dont have to put them in a car seat though, you can just hold them. We had a hire car also but had to get a taxi  to where we were staying which was a long way.

In england you have to put a child in a car seat by law but not in taxi's! I know it doesnt make sence as the law is the law but that is how it is. My dad is a taxi driver. Apparently its because you cant expect people to cary car seats round with them and a taxi driver would need to fill his boot up with all the different car seat stages and would never get shopping or pushchairs in so in a way it makes sence.

Hope this helps!

29/01/2009 at 15:43

With Taxi's you can carry your child on your lap. Don't worry to much about this everywhere i've gone including different country (canada,Toronto, Mexico) we sat him on our lap.

Have fun and enjoy.

30/01/2009 at 12:51
Hi Nicola & LadySteffy - thanks for your advice - that's what I was hoping to answer would be! Happy Days! xx
First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
4 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...