forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Products

Stretch mark creams (prevention)?????

1 to 20 of 23 messages
Liv
24/08/2007 at 13:06

Does anyone know of any stretch mark prevention creams that really do work??? There are so many i'm confused!

24/08/2007 at 13:25

Hi Liv

I used bio oil last time I was pregnant it was really good. Its quite pricie but you only need a tiny bit and it lasts for ages. Iv still got the same one that I used when pregnant with my son and using it again this pregnancy.

Liv
24/08/2007 at 13:40

Hi  Rebecca, is bio oil a type of oil or a make? Would i be able to get it from a superdrug type shop?

I just dont want to go out and buy loads of expensive stuff that doesn't really work, would rather try something reccomended so i at least know it might work. I only thought about it when i saw a friends stretch marks at the weekend, she has loads and they are so long! I would do anything to not get them!

I'm only 12 weeks so aren't starting to grow much yet - but want to be over prepared for when i do. I've read that u should just try to not put too much weight on, but i can't seem to stop thinking about food!

xxx

24/08/2007 at 14:29

The make is called Bio Oil and it is oil called PurCellin. You should be able to get it from superdrug. They sell it in most supermarkets at the chemists. I got it from boots. It can be used for Stretch marks, Scars, uneven skin tones, ageing skin and dehydrated skin.

I didnt get any stretch marks with my first but I still used it throughout the pregnancy. Im 24 weeks pregnant now and just noticed them on my side. They are only really faint and will probably just dissapear after I have the baby.

Liv
24/08/2007 at 14:42

You were lucky then - everyone i know whos had a baby is full of them!

Thanks for that - i will go and hunt some out

xxx

25/08/2007 at 10:15

Hi Liv

Like Rebecca I use Bio oil and it is really good.  You should start lathering it on now before you start to grow so it will prevent any streatch marks,  a few weeks ago when I was ironing I caught my tummy with the iron ( i didnt gauge how much it was sticking out over my jamas!) I had a red superficial burn line across my stomach so I put bio oil on twice a day and it healed in no time!  You can also put drops of bio oil in your bath.

Im only 20 weeks but have been using it for about a month or so, I also use Palmers massage cream for streatch marks, but regular Palmers cocoa butter is probably just as good and is cheap at £3 a bottle, you can also get small hand bag sized bottles for about 85p.

Dont forget to put oil/cream on your thys, boobs and other places that might start to grow too - it wont just be your tummy, as I am starting to discover aagghh!

Sonia x

Liv
25/08/2007 at 11:36

Excellent, (not ur burn on ur tummy! - that sounds painfull!!!) i will definately be buying some then. My boobs have grown at least one size already - thats about the only pg symptom i have had(apart from doubled appetite, tiredness & spots-its like being a teenager again!!)

I've convinced my OH that if i'm going through the pain etc... then it's his job to help prevent my stretch marks!! He agreed - so i'm off to buy some today and make the most of it!

Liv

xxx

30/08/2007 at 23:26

You lucky, lucky people.

I tried everything and still got them. I believe that no matter what you do , if you have that kind of skin you'll get them. My 18yr old sister (who, might I add is a sickly size 8) has stretch marks on her back but you can only see them when she has a tan. She has never been big or fallen pregnant.

I used bio oil and palmers stretch mark cream from before we started, during and after pregnancy and I still have them on my stomach, thighs and bum! They are now begining to fade and my LO is nearly 10mths!

GOOD LUCK!

Cheryl

xxx

01/09/2007 at 08:08

Oh don't say that Cheryl!  I'm pinning all my hopes on the lotions and potions to get me through ha ha!  Oh well I guess if we do all end up with streatch marks we'll be baring the scars of carrying a remarkable little person....hhhmmm I'll try telling myself that next year when I'm ligged out on the beach with everything on show lol.

Son

07/09/2007 at 15:33

Well if you do end up with some and manage to get rid of them please let me know your miracle cure, mine are fading (10mths later!) but I still notice them. Like you said they are now my scars to prove what a loving wonderful mummy I am, or at least try to be. I'll just make my lo pay for the rest of his life! Lol, I am only kidding (ifor all those social services people that are lurking!)

Cheryl

xx

29/09/2007 at 13:10

My mum told me to use Almond Oil (can buy a big bottle from a international/indian/european store) for about £2. It is also good from the point that it is a natural product with no added chemicals/perfumes/alcohols which can sometimes be drying.

I am now 25 weeks and use it after the shower every day on b00bs/belly/bum and don't seem to have any as yet! Fingers crossed...but am growing quite big so I'm sure I will too.

Unfortunately I also read that it all boils down to how much elastin you have in your skin and that there is no proof that oils/creams work!!! We live in hope....

Still worth a shot I say!

Sonia

04/10/2007 at 11:16

I saw a programme the other day that said neat aloe vera is very good at healing them! If anyone can find any please let me know where I can buy some.

Sonia I'm so sorry to say that I never had any until after I'd given birth, when my lump of a non existant baby bump had shrivled up! Good luck.

Cheryl

xx

06/10/2007 at 19:31

Hi, I've been using aloe vera gel, which costs around £4 for a big tube from Holland and Barret, and is often in their half price sale.

I find aloe vera gel to be the best solution for me. It is a bit sticky as first, like rubbing hair gel on your skin, and sometimes if you don't let it dry in for a few minutes, it can glue the fabric from your dressing gown to your skin, but it soons eases off and leaves your skin really soft.

I've been using bio-oil since before I was preggers, and still got big red stretchmarks across my belly. I've found that the aloe vera has taken away the redness, and cools my skin all over, I've found it great for my tired legs and baby acne on my arms and chin too. I still use the bio-oil too though, as the combination of the 2 seems to work well.

07/10/2007 at 11:04

Great thanks for that BigJyc.

I'm off to the shops, holland & barrett here I come!

Cheryl

10/01/2008 at 08:44
i have had two pregnancies before this one and after my first had one stretchmark right below my appendix scar (emergency surgery when i was 10) my scar is actually 5 inches long. my second pregnancy i had a lot more  but i started using bio oil on my tummy 2 years ago and have used it everyday since and the stretchmarks i had are totally unrecocniseable and it has improved the texture of my appendix scar which no longer looks like i've had half a tummy tuck lol x
24/01/2008 at 11:45

Im pretty sure that its inevitable that ill get stretch marks, ive already got some white ones on my belly, boobs and arms from where as a silly teenager i decided to starve myself and then as i gradually put weight bak on they appeared!! im not even that big. I think your either lucky or your not. Im def gonna invest in some bio oil tho, sounds like its pretty good for helping them fade!!

Good Luck ladies

x

24/01/2008 at 23:09

Hi Ladies

I'm 22 and 18 + 5 with my first baby and although i havent even started to show yet, I have been using Clarins body treatment oil (my fiance brought it me for xmas) along with tonic bath and shower treatment.  The body treatment oil is like baby oil and u have to put it on damp skin followed by a cool shower. It is pretty pricey about £25/£30 but many of my friends have used it in pregnancies and havent got a single stretchmark.

Louise x

25/01/2008 at 12:21

Hi

I got lots of stretch marks  in the last few months of pregnancy and i found the body makeover cream from Avon was really good at fading them and it didn't cost that much either which was a good thing.

Sarah x

05/01/2009 at 13:24
.<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <wunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <waveIfXMLInvalid>false</waveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <wnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underlineingle;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {colorurple; text-decoration:underline; text-underlineingle;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {pageection1;} --> <!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language0400; mso-fareast-language0400; mso-bidi-language0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
23/06/2009 at 12:57

Hi!

I have been using the Murad body firming cream and firm & tone serum from www.muraduk.com to help with my stretch marks.  It's been working wonderfully.  I heard about it through one of my friends who used it throughout her pregnancy and she has no marks.. soo unfair! 

1 to 20 of 23 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...
MadeForMums
Thinkbaby
Practical Parenting
Junior

Take a peek inside this month's magazine
FREE Baby Flannel plus FREE Thomas and Friends book
Find your nearest stockist here