forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Relationships and sex

thinking about contreception after birth

5 messages
10/03/2011 at 16:07

Hi everyone, I'm due to have my second baby in just over a week and have been thinking about forms of contreception after the birth. I know that Condoms are not an effective form for me and my OH as they do cause sex to feel less enjoyable for us and we won't keep to them. I tend to get really sore after using them too.

Thinking about the implant, but have a family history of heart probs and DVT and don't know whether it would be a safe option. Reluctant to go on the pill for the risk of clots and also i'm terrible at remembering to take tablets and would probably end up pregnant in a matter of months!

Anyone who has had the implant b4 got any advice? Whether it caused any probs etc?

10/03/2011 at 20:05

Hi,

I was on mycrogynom 30 for over 8 years and swithed to the implant after my 2nd child (in september)

I've not had any problems with it at all but have heard of others having mood swings & weight gains. But i'm happy with mine

11/03/2011 at 12:35
Cool thanks for your opinion, think it may be a good option for me.
11/03/2011 at 19:20

Hello,

Have you considered the Mirena IUS? It's the plastic tshape with hormones commonly used now instead of the oldfashioned copper coil. The hormone levels are very low and remain localised to your cervix and uterous so don't travel through the rest of your system (hence do not cause weight gain or mood swings), reliability rates are about the same as condoms (1 in 1000), you can leave it in for 5 years and your fertility returns to normal almost immediately once removed. I had it in for two years before deciding to start a family as I was working shifts and struggling to remember my pill every day - the only side effect is your period becomes lighter (or if you're really lucky stops altogether). It's also not affected by taking other medications, doesn't impact on sex at all and once it's in you can forget about it! I'm due my second baby in three weeks (used condoms between baby 1 and this one as we knew we'd want to get pregnant again soon) and I'm planning to have another mirena put in at my 6week post natal checkup.

Good luck with the birth (are you more scared this time round? I know I am!) and enjoy your new baby!

12/03/2011 at 12:47

Thanks for your post.

That sounds like an option, can u feel it when it's in there? Can it cause infections?That's what puts me off.

Yeah i'm deffinately more scared this time around, think it's cuz i know how much it's gonna hurt. Just hoping i go into labour early in the day as my last labour was throughout the night and it was very tiring. At the mo i feel like i have no energy as it is.

First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
5 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...