forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Toddlers

PUPPY! & TOT!

11 messages
16/12/2008 at 17:29

Hello ladies...
So i have just recieved a phone call from my DH asking if he should purchase a pup for my DS whose 3..

His friend has a firend whose a breeder of Yorkies. If some of you don't know how they look here's a link

I don't know what to do. I just love the idea but i feel as it would be another baby in the household??and darn are they soooo CUTE!

What do you ladies think?? Especially pet owners..is it that hard with a pup and child?

Steffy

16/12/2008 at 17:35

http://thebigthicket.com/images/babyyorkie.jpg

tHIS LINK WORKS.

So darn cute*

16/12/2008 at 18:20
I am the owner of a shih tzu which i got before i fell pregnant Chico is almost 2 years old but what i have found with small dogs despite being very independent they are very jealous and also obsessive, he is never harmful with childiren, but if we go to take him away from the kids he goes for us, he just wants to kiss and sniff and lick the kids not in a harmful way but it does become annoying when your constantly trying to tell him to leave kids alone, now have i have jenna louise he just sniffs and looks at her
16/12/2008 at 19:44

I always had the idea that smaller dogs which are often reffered to as "TOY DOGS", were less maintenance than larger dogs...but the again others have said they are more demanding and in your face...

im just a sucker for puppies...

I think im going to tell him to just wait it out after the holidays!!

18/12/2008 at 10:50
I have a dog, she acts like a spazzy puppy lol..going to have to get rid of her as i was given her to take care of for a week and the person i was looking after her for decided she didnt want her..so i'v been lumbered with this stupid dog, as nice as she is..i actually can't stand it lol!!

When my baby cries she instantly jumps up and runs around waffing her tail all over the place, jumping up at the moses basket and growling...since i gave her a tap on the nose for this she doesnt jump up, only growls but i'm still scared to death she will do it again so we have to keep the baby with us at every second.

then theres the fact shes already bitten me, cos i dont want the dog on my sofa as its cream and i always seem to be washing dog hairs and mud off it! so i came down and found her stood on my sofa and i pointed at her ready to say OFF and she leaped over the back of the sofa and bit my hand and then stood growling at me, i could of had jamie in my arms or anything! and when anyone picks jamie up she growls as in to say "look at me not him"!! she really isnt the dog for me, but she is suppost to be 8 years old so i suppose thats why we cannot train her very well..i always said if i was going to get a dog i would get it from a puppy cos then the puppy learns your family environment, learns that it is bottom of the family and that the baby is the top, kinda thing!

eventually when i get rid of this dog to a nice home me and OH talked about getting a pup for jamie's first birthday, so that he grows up around an animal and learns to care for a dog, and so that the dog will look after and protect us when we are alone in the house hehe xxx

sorry i rambled on ALOT xx
18/12/2008 at 14:33

Hey Tara...that sounds terrible. Out of curiousity what type of pup is this?

You need to get rid of her quick, you wouldn't bare any harm to jaime!! and it sounds like your really annoyed, as i would be. Wasn't there any way to tell that person U DID that FAVOUR for, no way to keeping it. I would have been very P off at this person!

Who does that??

Goodluck on the situation!

22/12/2008 at 21:51

Hi guys - just HAVE to say - puppies are brill!!! having had a dog all my life, all different breeds, but prefer the larger guys, we currently have a 4 month old (total nutcase!!!) labrador pup, she is just BRILL!!!! and ssooooooo cute! - she has come into our mad family and adapted fantastically, shes clean at night and during the day now, only took  2 weeks, we have 5 cats, 2 goats, geese, chickens and SIX kids!!!!!! shes just an overgrown softy!

On a stronger note, i have been in animal rescue for years too, and i wouldnt have ANY dog that had shown agression towards either myself or any family member - ESPECIALLY a little baby - i'm sorry i would get the dog rehomed - she is TOO old to change her ways! its sad but life!

But - back to the puppy saga - YEAH! GET ONE!!! LOL your little one will love it! i guarantee it!

Merry christmas to you all!!! And a happy and prosperous new year!

kaz xxxxxxxxx

25/12/2008 at 12:05
Hi Ladysteffy, well originally i was looking after her for my sister (who got the dog randomly) and then my sis just lumbered me with her. she is calming down a bit now and seems more protective over jamie than anything, and wont stop following me around! i might keep her as my training seems to be working but eventually i wanna get her re-homed as too much hassle for a single mum like me xx
03/02/2009 at 18:25

Hi we have 2 cats 12 and 11 mother and son. They are bonkers but very good with the kids, they just disappear when they have had enough of Mary and friends. She is good and strokes them and doesnt pull tails. We had a dog from age 5 i think it makes it kids respect

better and act gentler. So go for it

22/04/2009 at 10:34
Try him with another less demanding pet first such as a rabbit. Less jealousy and rivalry and it will give you an idea of how he will react to a dog
28/04/2009 at 21:08
we got a hamster...................it's been almost a month and i'm already done with it!!! close call i think i would have to give it a very good thought to it...
First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
11 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...