forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Toddlers

Question about milk

7 messages
sj2
09/02/2009 at 11:47

hi there, just looking for advice about milk. I read that by the time a child is two they should be onto semi skimmed instead of full fat milk. Is this right or wrong. I think it is to do with the fat content. Also any ideas on how to reduce the amount of milk my dd is having at night, can be up to 3 bottles of milk a night. Although i tend not to give her too much through the day because of this. Another thing too, does anyone find that by the time their child hits 2 you struggle on where to get advice? I feel like there is so much advice when a baby is under 1 and when they get older no one really wants to be there to give advice. eg. health visitors. 

09/02/2009 at 12:23

Hi Shelagh, Im tara and my daughter is almost 2 years and 9 months at end of February.

I havent heard of cutting down on the milk or downgrading from full fat to semi skimmed. I thought that they are still growing and so would still need the higher levels of fat. I might go and have a read up about it though.

She has one hot chocolate made with half milk/half water in the morning and one at night and maybe one in the daytime. She also drinks juice throughout the day.

Is she eating all her dinner? If she isnt full up maybe thats why she is drinking more? Does she fall asleep drinking? Maybe she is using it as a sleeping "tool" to help her fall asleep? Maybe try adding ovaltine or horlicks or similar to "bulk" up the milk so she isnt drinking as much. Does she waks up for a wee in the night after drinking so much?

I agree about the not much support after 1 year old. I just tried to call my local school to put little one on nursery list for September and was told deadline was 31st Jan... im annoyed that no-one has said anything.... i fell bad as i should know myself as have been putting off doing it for months... now saw that the school i want her to go to has 60 places last year and 114 applicants! Great!!

09/02/2009 at 13:10

I dont think there is much advice out there full stop. When my youngest was born the said to put off weaning him till he was 6 months instead of 4. So I did, i started weaning just before 6 months and within a week was told he should be having breakfast, dinner and tea! Because he was now 6 months? So a week from going from all milk to full meals? They change the rules that many times I dont even think the health visitors know what to advise anymore.

I have never heard that you should reduce them down to half fat though! I thought they were supposed to have full fat right through to their teens! If your daughter wants the milk and is still eating all of her meals then I would let her have it. My son likes his milk and would drink it all day and night but he tends to get full off it, so I have started giving him milky tea instead. He loves it. He doesnt like hot chocolate.

09/02/2009 at 13:15
Nicola, Hot chocolate probably a female thing!!! I agree... if she wants it and she is healthy then give it to her! Everything in moderation!
09/02/2009 at 16:20

hi...

umm...excuse me if ive read it wrong or if im a bit dense but your little one is 2 and having 3 bottles over night?? coz she will make up the milk she needs over night if you dont give her much during the day.or did i read the 1st entry wrong??

love julianne xx

09/02/2009 at 19:09
My son is 3 and only has a sippy cup of milk before bed and it good until night time. 3 Bottles does sound like too much. If she's that thirsty how about a bottle of water by her bedside. I started my little one a full fat cows milk from 1. Alk these milk rules are too much as say go with the diet of your family, only you know your child the best.
11/02/2009 at 17:10

Kyrie is nearly 2 and she has 2 bottles at night (1 after the other!!)and a bottle during the day.  She is semi skimmed milk due to an intolerence of full fat milk. I have heard that they should stay on full fat milk until they are 5 as it is full of vitimins that are essential to grow. As Kyrie is on semi skimmed milk we have to give her multivitimins everyday to boost her vitimin levels. We were also advised to give her lots of fromage frais and cheese as these can help boost her as well. However things change so quickly with whats right and wrong, for each of my 3 children i have been told to do thigs differently, even with weaning ages etc. At the end of the day you know your baby best, so you should do what you think is right!

xx

First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
7 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?