forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Toddlers

Sick in the night.

10 messages
13/06/2008 at 14:22

HI

I was so proud of my daughter (26mths) this morning when she slept in till 7am. She wondered out of her bedroom and by the time she got to me I noticed dried vomit all over her!!! She took me back to show me her bed and she had been very sick, but it looked like it was serveral hours old. She simply said 'cough, bed, Mummy'.

I can't for the life of me understand how she can be hugely sick in the night a lie back in it and go back to sleep. It clearly didn't bother her, but I'm trying to explain to her that when she coughs and is sick in the night she must call for 'Mummy' or come and get me.

I didn't hear anything on the monitor which is on low in my room....... Its heart breaking to think she lay in it for hours!

Has anyone had this with their little one before?

P

16/06/2008 at 22:30

sometimes little kids can acutally turn over and be sick in thier sleep without evening noticing it, and sometimes they can go back to sleep in this, just like being in thier own urine or elsewhat, they still don't understand fully what it means and if its dark and shes tired the last thing on her mind will be to come and tell you unless it had really hurt or bothered her, if she keeps being sick taken her to the doctors and get her checked out,

hope she is better now though

take care

18/06/2008 at 08:59

HI Lynne

Thanks, she is fine now, it worries me that she can be sick in her sleep. I was about to abandon the monitor but might keep it on low for a while longer.

P

18/06/2008 at 12:02
always worth having if your not close enough to the room to hear her.
19/06/2008 at 13:56

Hi,

I sleep in the very next room to my 2 kids (3 years & 20mths) and I have had that monitor on high every night since my oldest was born.  I just worry about them sleeping in general.  As soon as they shout mum am up and through there. Their dad tries to persuade me that they don't need it now but I do need it to know there fine.

My 20 mth old was badly sick in her sleep twice in the one night.  My kids go to bed at 7pm and I had monitor downstairs with me but my daughter had been sick and I didn't notice till I went to bed myself at 12.30am.  I went in to put their night light off like I do every night and she was lying sleeping peacefully in a pile of sick. In hair the lot.  I felt so guilty that I hadn't heard her and was scared to sleep incase I missed her again which I didn't.  I heard her the second time but even changing her and her bed she was falling asleep in my arms.  I think its amazing they can just go back to sleep I am up the whole night if I'm sick but she just went straight back to sleep. 

It is a worry when things like this happen but they just don't understand whats happened and is too tired to care.   Doesn't ease our guilt though eh? 

I felt terrible!

06/07/2008 at 08:11
My little boy (16 months) did this when we had the heatwave in may or june and i only knew because i always check he's ok before i go to bed and he was fast asleep in a massive puddle of sick.It turned out he'd got a little overheated during the day and it was his bodys way of coping and because he was so tired he didnt wake up.
10/07/2008 at 20:32

Hi, my son is 1 on the 21st and he has also done this.  I only knew he had been sick as my eldest son (5) came downstairs to tell us Isaac had been sick. We went straight upstairs and found him asleep laying in vomit, when we woke him up to clean him he was still trying to sleep!.

My eldest son Bradley has never done this before and always cried or called us if he was sick or felt sick.

It's good to know I'm not the only one this has happened to !

25/07/2008 at 04:02

Hi to every one,

My son is already a 26 months old. He is my first son,I have done this before when he only 1 year old, He is sickly although through his teeth or growing teeth. And it happen again this time, he is sick and I'm afraid to see him just like when his body temparature is on 40 degrees because he had very red lips, don't stop crying and moving a little,I can feel nervous, I can't sleep although  I can monitor him because he sleep with me. I observe him for the whole night if he is ok. and his temp. is low. 

Through this observation I can say that it is not easy to raise children.But I'm happy that I'm not the only one who suffered this...and I'm very thankful that I can share my experience through this site!!!!

01/09/2008 at 19:53

Hi,

My son who is 17 months has been sick in his bed a number of times. Usually it happens when he is teething as he gets a terrible 'teething cough'.  Once though he had gastroenteritis (SP?) and was being sick during the day also.  On a couple of occasions he hasn't woken up and when I have checked him before going to bed he has been lying asleep in a pool of sick.  You are right it is awful to think of his lying there like that but he doesn't seem to care that much. 

04/09/2008 at 03:16

Hello,

You know what when the baby is teething you can notice that your baby has lose appitite, and every now and then they will sick, So on that stage of my baby I can't allow him to sleep without me in his side. I want to sleep with us so that I can check him everytime. And it is important to them that when they need us they can easily call us for help. 

First Name:
Last Name:
Nickname:
Email:
Security Image:
Enter the code shown:

I agree to the site's Terms and Conditions & Code of Conduct:
email image
10 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...