forum
You are looking at: Home : Forum : Toddlers

Sleeping through the night

1 to 20 of 24 messages
26/10/2007 at 22:54

I am a full time mother to my 15 month old boy whom I love dearly and adore.

He isn't sleeping through the night and I feel guilty when my partners siter and her family have him every other weekend.

So can anybody give me any ideas of what I can do so he does sleep through the night.

29/10/2007 at 09:25

Hi.

I would try taking him out for a walk shortly before bed time, hopefully the fresh air will tire him. Then, if youre still giving bottles, get him to take as much milk as poss so he wont wake up hungry. Then finally, if he'l let you, use baby massage techniques so hes completely relaxed before going to sleep.

Em x

29/10/2007 at 21:59

Hi Em

Many thanks for your really good idea.

The thing is he goes out for a walk every day in his buggy so he is getting plenty of fresh air and he has a bottle of milk before he goes to bed but I haven't tried the baby massage technique so if he wakes up tonight I will try that tomorrow night.

Thanka again

Julie x

30/10/2007 at 22:22

Hi

My other half and I are having the same problem with our son Oliver, he`s 18 months old and no matter how hard we try always ends up in our bed sometime during the night.  I really do sympathise.  It was suggested to us that we try a wind down routine with him.  You need to start late afternoon with not having excited play, reading and cuddly toys instead of running around and hide and seek games are only for the mornings.  A bath every night, then pjs on a drink and a story that he`s chosen (if he can`t chose for himself offer a choice of 2 and see which he picks).  Oliver has a favourite book of fairy tales, but it`s usually the sound of your voice reading at a calm steady pace that helps them doze off.  I hope I haven`t sent you to sleep, good luck. 

Kate

31/10/2007 at 21:03

Hi kate

I am glad I am not the only one having the problem.

Alex is now 15 months old I don't know where the time has gone to.

That is what I do every night that is bath sleep suit then book but it hasn't worked.

I had one good night the other night where he did sleep through the night.

Julie

04/11/2007 at 11:47

Hi Julie

Do you know why he`s waking up?  Is is habit, not being active enough during the day, night terrors?  Just a thought but maybe if you can pinpoint a reason then you can look at sorting that out?  Ours just likes to be cuddled, and wants the comfort of mum and or dad whilst he`s nodding off and when he`s asleep. 

Then there`s the controlled crying technique..... It does work but I don`t like doing it, whilst I`m counting the minutes I have to be doing something or I just go in to Oliver.

Its all worth considering, but at least you know you aren`t the only mum who has been through this.

Oh another thought how many people have said its just a stage and it will pass?  I throttled the last one that told me that.  It was after 4 weeks of not sleeping through.

04/11/2007 at 22:27

Hiya

My partners sister had Alex last weekend from Friday to Sunday and he slpet through the night for her so we will see how we go tonight.

Its not nightmares caue I have asked my health visitor and she says he is to young to have nightmares.

As for being active he is on the go all the time and he goes out for walks so he is getting plenty of fresh air.

Julie

15/11/2007 at 11:47

I've not got any advice, but just wanted to say that my 12 month old boy still wakes several times in the night so you are not alone!  I've spoken to lots of people whose children didn't sleep through until they were 2 or even older so whilst it's not much comfort, our little ones are perfectly normal!

If you find a method that works then please pass on the secret!

Sarah x

15/11/2007 at 13:04

Hi Sarah

I am glad Iam not the only one but yeah as soon as I know the secret I will pass it on.

My little boy woke up twice in the night.

Julie x

20/11/2007 at 13:19

How have the last few nights been Julie?  I've had a couple of good ones and a couple of bad ones.  The good news is that I've been strict with myself about the evening routine (tea, quiet play, bath, breastfeed, story, bed) and it's really working, he's usually down by about 8.30pm now which is a huge achievement.

We're moving house in a couple of weeks and will have space for him to have his own room so he can have his own bed and hopefully that might help him sleep a bit better, although it will mean I actually have to get up in the night (he sleeps in our bed at the moment).

Keep in touch and let me know how you're getting on

Sarah x

20/11/2007 at 13:28

Hi Sarah

Yeah I had a good night last night where he slept all the way through the night.

So we shall see what happens tonight.

I have got him in a strict rountine where 5.00 is tea 7.00 is bath then 8.30 is bed time and I don't stay in his bedroom and wait til he falls of to sleep anymore I come out of the room.

Yeah I will keep in touch to let you know how I am getting on

Julie x

Suz
20/11/2007 at 21:30

Hi there,

I have a three month old and she sleeps from 10ish to 6ish every night. I give her a dummy if she wakes up before six znd she goes back to sleep. I have noticed that she is more likely to go to sleep if she is in a darkened room. Hope ths continues and best of luck to you all.

suzxxxxx   

06/12/2007 at 15:22

haha well since my last post Krishan has had lots of late nights and now has had a cold for about a week so hes been sleeping badly.  I'm moving house this weekend, so will try a new routine when we get settled in. How are you getting on Julie?

sarahx

07/12/2007 at 09:58

Hi Sarah

Alex does sleep through the night but not every night the nights he doesn't sleep through the night he wakes up for a drink but that is now only once

Julie x

13/02/2008 at 01:18
wierd your HV saying they don't have nightmares I run this passed mine today as it didn't seem right - I am sure I read somewhere babies have nightmares from as early as they dream and she said she hadn't heard that they don't have them though she wasn't a sleep expert she also said it isn't uncommon to be like this until over 2 but to be most concerned if they develop night terrors (more common in older toddlers than babies) - not good news really as my wee one has gone from sleeping through the night from 11 weeks old to waking at 4am on the dot the last week since he turned 9 months old - in our area we have a sleep nanny service - depends how bad it is affecting you but there may be something near you - or some even work over the phone - they are private though and cost of course!  my wee one had a cold so hopefully once it has fully cleared up it will settle down again but I couldn't deal with this if I was back at work but then at least I would be able to afford a sleep nanny service, especially as our one comes with a gaurantee!
13/02/2008 at 20:13

Hi Hunnybunny

I am sorry to hear that your little one is waking up at 4am, my little one isn't that bad.

The good news is he only waking up once a night and sleeping the rest of the time so its a lot better now cause before he was waking up 2 to 3 times a night.

As for the sleep service I don't think there is anything around my way.

13/02/2008 at 20:51

last night he slept through again so fingers crossed

he is still up now though full of beans but waning fast

13/02/2008 at 20:59

I am glad to hear he is sleeping through again, I will keep my fingers crossed for you

15/02/2008 at 17:58
 My little boy has never slept a night through, and he is almost one!    I am not suprised as my older child didnt sleep through till he was 2 and a half!    I would love one nights quality sleep as he wakes at least 5 times a night every night.  I  am at my wits end, I seem to be repeating last time, still breast feeding. Not out of choice now, the little monster wont take formula at all!. I have tried every brand going and left him to have a good scream.   I long for the day when I can have a good nights sleep,(only a year or so to wait!)  Clarex
17/03/2008 at 19:57

My little girl is just starting to sleep though @ 1 year.  I still dream feed her and this seems to help. I have done the cry it out thing and I have to say that did the trick to be honest. 

good luck with the sleep thing X

1 to 20 of 24 messages
Sign me up!
What is the MadeForMums network?

Tell me about...
MadeForMums
Thinkbaby
Practical Parenting
Junior

Take a peek inside this month's magazine
FREE Baby Flannel plus FREE Thomas and Friends book
Find your nearest stockist here